Qlik Community

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katchow002
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to filter months using Input Box?

Hi guys! I have to filter my chart into specific months as entered by the user on the input box. I have seen threads about input boxes byt I can't seem to tailor-fit the expressions with my own work.

1.PNG

What I want to do is have an input box and type in a certain month, then the chart displays the data of that month. I wouldn't also want to limit the number of months typed into the input box with only just one month but say 3 months, then all the data of those three months gets displayed on the chart.

Please help me on this and sorry if i have missed something obvious.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
katchow002
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Got it through this expression:

=Sum({<Month={$(vMonth)},[Day Name]-={'Saturday','Sunday'}>}Sales)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
suepenick
Creator
Creator

Make a list box with the Months - let them select by dragging and dropping or CTRL + Clicking to select random ones.

This is a very flexible solution as you may want to look at certain months this year over a year or year over year.

in your list box - you can select expression instead of just a dimension and do a =Year &'-'&Month

then they can randomly select months and years to compare -

or drag and see a group of months in a quarter/ what ever

input boxes are for large amounts of ranges of numbers - like from invoice number to invoice number or a very specific date range.   Search for Input Boxes in the community to see how to specifically set up the variables and event triggers.

http://www.bi-tv.com/how-to-add-start-date-and-end-date-calendar-objects-in-qlikview/

I watched a video to understand input boxes

MarcoWedel

why would anyone want to type a value he could easily select from a list box having only 12 values?

katchow002
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sue! Thanks for your advice but the exercise I am doing now requires the use of Input Box specifically so I can't use List Box for now. The link seems to be broken as well but I sure am going to read on Input Box here at the community. Thanks!

katchow002
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It's an exercise to get familiar with the Input Box object

fspinelli
Partner
Partner

Hi Kat,

for the input box I use this extension Qlik Branch

In the expression of your chart you can try this:

Sum(if(vMonth = month(yourDate), do expr true, do expr false))

vMonth is the name of the input box varable, I set this variable in the main script with Let vMonth = 0

Bye

katchow002
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Got it through this expression:

=Sum({<Month={$(vMonth)},[Day Name]-={'Saturday','Sunday'}>}Sales)

katchow002
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the advice Sir. I was able to resolve it after all using this expression =Sum({<Month={$(vMonth)},[Day Name]-={'Saturday','Sunday'}>}Sales).