Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yura_ratu
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

How to get script from qvw?

Hi community,

I need to create a list of all objects from database which are used in all qlikview application on a server. For this purpose I need somehow to be able to get scripts from QVWs. Is it possible to load the script from one QVW into the field in another?

I know the trick with getting SQL query from QVD, but we run some queries in scripts without storing data into QVD, so I miss them in such scenario.

Or any other approaches to meet the goal?

Thanks!

5 Replies
Colin-Albert

Have a look at the Governance Dashboard

and / or rwunderlich‌ Document Analyser

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Colins suggestion might be your best bet. But you could also roll your own approach by making sure that all applications have a -prj folder. In that folder you will find a LoadScript.txt file which will be the LoadScript of the application for the -prj folder.

For instance an application named Finance.qvw will if you make an empty folder named Finance-prj in the same directory as the Finance.qvw, populate this folder with a lot of text and XML-files which is basically everything except the data in that particular application. That way you can get access to the load script of any application.

However you will have to make this -prj folder for every QVW and open, change, close the applications at least once to get every folder updated. Then you will have to gather all these LoadScript.txt files and parse them.

Maybe Rob Wunderlich's Document Analyzer or Governance Dashboard is better for you

yura_ratu
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Colin, Petter, thanks for your suggestions.

The approach I have found the most applicable to this case is analysing data from log files of all applications. And then having a list of all tables and views from database (get it as a first step in my script) find them in all logs using mapping (in style like rwunderlich do it in his FuncrionSurvey application to find and count all used functions).

The only data I miss is database objects from hidden scripts.

Is there any way to log execution of hidden script during the reloading by Qlikview Server?

Colin-Albert

Viewing/logging progress of a hidden script is not really practical.

If you enable "show progress of hidden script" users can step through using the debugger.

Displaying progress in a hidden script

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The Lineage elements are also in the QVWs so you can get the SQL from QVWs that don't store into QVDs. Yuriy, if you contact me via qlikvewcookbook.com/contact I may be able to help you with some script.

-Rob