Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to make a chart showing the calculated percentage point difference between two periods?

Hi

I have made a bar chart showing the percentage of the student mass, who are foreign students.

I have data from 2013-2016 so far. Every year new data is added.

The chart looks like this, with percentage on the y-axis:

billede.png

the code I used looks like this:

=num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)))

Now I would like to make a bar chart showing the percentage point difference from one year to the next.

I thought it would be smart to make the code dynamic, so I don't have to maintain it, every time a new year is added.

I have tried the folowwing code, but it does not work:

=num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)))

-
num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}, [Aargang]={Aargang}-1>}PERSON_ID) /(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Aargang]={(Aargang}-1>}bestand_antal)))

The first part is just a copy of the old code, whick shows the percentage number every year. So I thought that I could just copy it, and add a "go one year back and compare" statement (year=Aargang). But it says error in expression.

How do I tell QV to compare the percentage from one year with the year before?

I know that there will be no data in 2013, because it is the first year.

I have made a vMinAargang and a vMaxAargang variable, but I haven't used them (yet).

Kind regards

Maria

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daveamz
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Maria,

Have a look at Above() function. Something like:

num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)))

-

Above(num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal))))

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daveamz
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Maria,

Have a look at Above() function. Something like:

num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)))

-

Above(num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal))))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi David

This is exactly what I wanted! Thanks!

I tried to add '###0%' to get the data shown in I percentage.

QV says "expression ok", but the data disappears when I click ok??

This is what I wrote:

=num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)),'###0%') -
Above(num(count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/(sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal))),'###0%')

Do you know why it doesn't work?

daveamz
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Maria,

There is a typo in the the expression with num()

This should work:

(

count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)/

sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)

) -
Above(

count({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'},[Hjemland2]={'Udenlandsk'}>}PERSON_ID)

/sum({<over_udd={'Bachelor', 'Kandidat'}>}bestand_antal)))

)

You can format the number to percentage in the chart properties:

Regards,

David

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes it does - thanks