Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scheibercamo
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to restrict values in input box based on selection of other input box?

Hi, I have created two input boxes using two temporary variables that have some fields associative with one another and others not. E.g.:

vApp_ID = [App_ID] where some App IDs are in some countries but not all

vCountry = [Country] where both of these fields are temporarily populated based on whats's been selected int the dashboard

I am trying to create two dropdown list input boxes and then use an "Apply" button that triggers a selection within the dashboard based on what is stored in the two temporary variables. So essentially, if I select an App ID from my first input box, and then select a Country from my second input box, the only options available should be those Countries that the previously selected App ID resides within.

My selections on the "Constraints" tab for each input box is: Predefined Values Only , Predefined Values in Drop-Down , and have checked Listed Values with the function: =CONCAT(DISTINCT([App_ID]),',') and in the other one =CONCAT(DISTINCT([Country]),',').

I am almost there, however when I select the second dropdown the user can still select some countries that shouldn't be listed there. Any way to get around this - or better - an alternative solution? My "Apply" button is working great for each field one at a time but not together.

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

just a quick question qlikview is working as you describe without any variables

so if you select in one field you'll see in white the corresponding values in any other field

why would you build something to emulate what is working out of the box

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This type of behaviour works better in fields than variables. Have you tried using an alternate state? Then the apply button would work on the selections in the alternate state.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
scheibercamo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Liron, thanks for your response. The "Apply" feature is really what's important for me here. I want to be able to make selections from drop down menus, but not have the dashboard filter anything until I select the "Apply" button.

scheibercamo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

How might you go about doing this? I have not used alternate states before. I appreciate the tip.