Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manishnarang
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

How to show Monthly Trend by Two dimensions

Hi All,

I have a very basic requirement to show

Monthly Sales Trend by Product and By Region.

what could be the best possible UI / Graph to show this?

Right now, I have only Line Chart in mind with Trellis enabled on Region. As i have just 4 regions (fixed number). But still looking for a better option because Trellis would take alot of space on UI.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Manish

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could use a single expression for each region like:

sum({< Region = {'Region 1'}>} Sales)

sum({< Region = {'Region 2'}>} Sales)

And maybe optimize the layout from the chart - shorter numbers on axis, horizontal legend, pressing ctrl+shift by activated chart to get access to the chart-parts in red lines ...

- Marcus

manishnarang
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you Marcus, I tried this approach.

I am actually looking for a side by side analysis of Product and Regions numbers over Time Period dimension.

Like in Grid,

Dim 1: Month (X Axis)

Dim 2: Region (Y axis)

Dim 3: Product (Legend)

and say presentation as Pie (for symbols). This gives me very close to what i am looking for. I can see all the data compared in parallel to each other. But so many the Pie charts in the graph don't really look nice.

by the approach you explained above, in most charts, will also have 2 dimensions on X axis. and Region expressions will be in Legend. This does not give me the sort of view which is requested.

I am just looking for ideas to show 3D analysis.

marcus_sommer

I think if you want to display such a complex analysis that the use of trellis is quite suitable and that it structured the needed space (and consumed maybe more then expected) could be rather an advantage - then for any content it's more important that's easy understable else it could be put more informations on the same space or that it looked more nicely - I know not always but I think it should be more in this direction.

Another way for 3D analysis might be: Recipe for a Scatter Chart.

- Marcus

manishnarang
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Absolutely.

I finally used Line chart with Trellis. used another way to manage the space on dashboard andit looks pretty nice.

Thank you too for your time Marcus