Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use a parameter in a variable to use an alternate state in set analysis

Dear Community,

I have read about alternate states, variables and parameters. But I have diffuculties in the correct use. The following is an example, the real formulas are more complex.

I have defined a variable with a formula that uses set analysis:

• set vPossibleTime1=sum(duration)-sum({$<reason={1,2}>}duration);

This formula is used on seperate sheets like $(vPossibleTime1) , but there will be different alternate states in the sheets, e.g: state1 and state2.

The charts on the sheets are set to one of these alternate states in the properties dialogue.  When I use the alternates the set analysis does not  include the alternate state even if it is set in the properties. So I have to extend the formula:

• set vPossibleTime2=sum({[state1]}duration)-sum({[state1]<reason={1,2}>}duration);

So this works now for one sheet, for the other sheets I cannot use it because the alternate state is fixed in the formula.

No I tried to use a parameter in the definition of the variable:

• set vPossibleTime3=sum({$1}duration)-sum({$1<reason={1,2}>}duration);

After several trial and errors I found out that I now can use a formula like $(vPossibleTime3('$')) , $(vPossibleTime3('state1')) or $(vPossibleTime3('state2')) in the different sheets.

I expected a formula like $(vPossibleTime3('[state2]'))  but this does not work.

Now I want to now if this is the correct syntax:

• Defining the variable: set vPossibleTime3=sum({$1}duration)-sum({$1<reason={1,2}>}duration);
  • using the variable in a formula: $(vPossibleTime3('state1'))

Furthermore I have some nested formulas, i.d. one formula with parameters is used in the other like:

• set vAvailableTime1 = $(vPossibleTime1)-sum({$<reason={3,4}>}duration)

together with the Parameters this looks like:

• set vAvailableTime2 = $(vPossibleTime3($1))-sum({$1<reason={3,4}>}duration)

With this I can use a formula like $(vAvailableTime2('state2')) in the sheets. In the tests it seems to work.

But before I change the formula in all sheets I want to make sure that this is the correct procedure.

Who can answer this question?

Thanks for your help

Dirk

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

The following syntax ist working:

set fTotalDuration=(sum({$1} Duration)

In the diagrams you can use the formular like =$(fTotalDuration('Machine1')).

'Machine1' is the defined alternate state.

Best regards

Dirk

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think your approach should work. I'm not absolutely sure how alternate states will be handled as parameter within variables but I assume the same like by fieldnames and this meant you don't need single-quotes to references them. This meant: $(vPossibleTime3([state2])) and $(vPossibleTime3(state2)) should work.

Beside them I think you could simplify your variable-expression from:

set vPossibleTime1=sum(duration)-sum({$<reason={1,2}>}duration);

to

set vPossibleTime1=sum({$<reason -= {1,2}>}duration);

Further it might be useful to replace the reason-values of {1,2} or {3,4} also with a parameter whereby the use of a comma-list within a variable-parameter is problematic - but in some cases it worked, see for example: Re: Aggr with Two parameter Variable not working‌.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

The following syntax ist working:

set fTotalDuration=(sum({$1} Duration)

In the diagrams you can use the formular like =$(fTotalDuration('Machine1')).

'Machine1' is the defined alternate state.

Best regards

Dirk