Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Ideas on adding complex filter

Hi, I have a question on where and how a filter logic should be applied to a dashboard I am developing.

The filter logic in the original report that I am replacing is a complex filter that goes something like:

1 AND 2 AND ((3 AND 4) OR (5 AND 6)) AND 7

where each number is a filter (e.g. 1 = OpportunityRecordType='Renewal' or 'Standard' or 'Partner')

I'm stuck if I should implement this in the load, as a button on the UI that applies these, as a trigger event, or what. It's been bugging me for a week now, advice would be greatly appreciated!

6 Replies
marcus_sommer

I would try to apply this within the script in a field which the user could simply select within the UI. A part like your 1 could be solve with a match() like:

match(OpportunityRecordType, 'Renewal', 'Standard', 'Partner')

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered it, but a lot of the Boolean logic takes fields from different tables. I think that'd create a Frankenstein table, wouldn't it?

maxgro
MVP
MVP

yes but if the logic of the filter is complex, you have to choose between complex in script or complex in the user interface; usually, in similar situations I choose the script; if you want and can, post the logic, fields and tables

Not applicable
Author

Boolean expression is as follows:

1 AND 2 AND ((3 AND 4) OR (5 AND 6)) AND 7

1. OpportunityRecordType = 'Renewal' or 'Standard' or 'Partner Deal'

2. SalesStage = '01 - UC' or '02 - VO' or '03 - QO' or '04A - DS' or '04B - PS' or '05 - NC' or '06- WDE' or '6 - WDE' or 'Lost'

3. OpportunityType = 'Renewal'

4. SalesMotion = 'New Solution'

5. Opportunity Type != 'Renewal'

6. SalesMotion = 'Care Pack' or 'Day 1' or 'Per Event' or 'New Solution' or 'Renewal' or 'Conversion' or 'Bus Type 'W''

7. PipelineExclusion != 'Y'

all of that, PLUS:

CampaignName={*NEWLead* | *NewLead* | *Employee Lead Gen* | TM;* | LOGO*}

I cannot post the entire table structure, as it's quite large, but here is a snippet with some of the corresponding tables and the fields corresponding to the above logic highlighted.

DashboardTableView.PNG

maxgro
MVP
MVP

- flag1 on Opportunity table: 1 and 2 and 7

- flag2 on OpportunitItem: (3 or 4) and (5 or 6)

to create this flag you need a join to add OpportunityType in OppurtunityItem (or applymap)

I suppose the relation OpportunityItem : Opportunity is N : 1

- flag3 on Campaign

----------

flag1

match(OpportunityRecordType, 'Renewal', 'Standard', 'Partner Deal')

and match(SalesStage, '01 - UC', '02 - VO', '03 - QO', '04A - DS', '04B - PS', '05 - NC', '06- WDE', '6 - WDE', 'Lost')

and not match (PipelineExclusion, 'Y')

flag2

(OpportunityTypeBis = 'Renewal' or SalesMotion = 'New Solution')

and

(OpportunityTypeBis <> 'Renewal' or match(SalesMotion, 'Care Pack', 'Day 1', 'Per Event', 'New Solution', 'Renewal', 'Conversion', 'Bus Type W'

flag3

wildmatch(CampaignName, '*NEWLead*', '*NewLead*', '*Employee Lead Gen*', 'TM;*', 'LOGO*')

----------

in the user interface you can AND the 3 flags

another solution could be to only add one (or two) flag but I can't find the right table, maybe OpportunityItem?

Not applicable
Author

Great idea. I've implemented the fields, but am having difficulty AND'ing them in the UI. I created a button and added the 3 filters as Actions, but it acts as if it is OR'ed. i.e. - It filters on Action 1 and Action 2, but if it finds no hits for Action 3, it just shows records for Action 1 and 2.

The expected behavior of an AND dictates that it should thus show no records (or at least that's the behavior I'm looking for). Any advice?