Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Import TXT file, only show one column

I have a few text files that are produced from IBM Cognos TM1, they have similar structure to the file I have attached.  But when I try to import them to Qlikview, they just show it as one column.

The way I do it:

> Edit Script > Table Files

On the File Wizard: (see attached)

I selected "Comma" as Delimiter, and "Embedded Labels" as Labels.

Qlikview just doesn't show me the different columns, what have I done wrong here?  Please help.

Thanks in advanced.

Phyllis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In the Wizard set the Header Size to Lines & 1,Quoting to None,and Labels to None. which creates this script :

LOAD @1,

@2,

@3,

@4

FROM

(txt, codepage is 1252, no labels, delimiter is ',', no quotes, header is 1 lines);

That is not the end game and can be tidied up like this :

LOAD purgechar ( @1 , '"' ) as [External_Rating] ,

@2 as [Name] ,

@3 as [Long_Name] ,

purgechar ( @4 , '"' ) as [Credit quality step]

FROM

(txt, codepage is 1252, no labels, delimiter is ',', no quotes, header is 1 lines);

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In the Wizard set the Header Size to Lines & 1,Quoting to None,and Labels to None. which creates this script :

LOAD @1,

@2,

@3,

@4

FROM

That is not the end game and can be tidied up like this :

LOAD purgechar ( @1 , '"' ) as [External_Rating] ,

@2 as [Name] ,

@3 as [Long_Name] ,

purgechar ( @4 , '"' ) as [Credit quality step]

FROM

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

All lines are quoted in their entirety, making them act as a single field (and without a heading). Quotes in text or csv files are typically used to cover separators embedded in text values. They should be treated as part of the text value, and not as a regular field separator.

Can you get TM1 to output the same but without the starting and ending double-quotes? If possible, that would be the easiest solution. If not, there are QlikView scripting techniques available that do away with extraneous characters.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Bill and Peter for your help.

I didn't realise the text file is giving me the double quotes at the beginning and the end, I should have opened the file in NotePad to check that first, rather than look at it in Excel.

I have fixed the issue by changing the TM1 output, as I have the same process to output a number of  dimensions to text file, it is easier to manipulate the output.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Good, as Peter suggested correcting data at source is always the best option.