Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Inconsistent sort results using expression - Has anyone encountered this?

I'm working on a complex chart involving multiple dimensions and sorting within those dimensions. I was getting strange sequence results.

So I did a test on a very simple chart and was able to duplicate the problem in a simple pivot table with two dimensions and one expression -- sum (Sales).

I'm sorting dimension 1 using the expression -- SUM (TOTAL <DIMENSION1> Sales) works fine

I've tried several different expressions for the sort of dimnesion 2 yielding the same results but for simplicity I'll stick with -- SUM (Sales).

When I make no selection in Dimension1 occasionally some of the rows of dimension 2 are out of the decending value sequence within Dimension1. If I make a selection of dimension 1 the results are correctly sorted.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Rich De Rocco

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

I appreciate the reply Nick but I'm dimayed by the results.

This is a basic list function that really needs to be supported. How then can we rank major dimension groups and the rank minor dimension groups within the major group?

Using the same context I tried the function is a straight table same results.

I'm going to the polls now to vote.

Rich

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Rich,

Attached is the result I think you are looking for. You have to do a little workaround and do a total <dim1,dim2, ...> expression for each dimension and then sort those same expressions. I hid the numbers and the label to make it look like those columns are just for spacing purposes.

It appears you can't use total <dim1,dim2,...> expressions in the sort tab. If we were able to do that, this would be easier, but that would be a feature request for QlikView and that might take time.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Karl,

I'll give it a try in the morning.

Been at it for 13 hours. Getting fuzzy.

Rich

Not applicable
Author

Karl,

Created an extract of the data and attached the sample. Unfortunately with a small segament of data I wasn't able to relicate the sequencing error. I have three charts. One that represents My Original with sort expressions on both dimensions, My work around the has Calculated Rank dimensions. (Worked but created unintended consequence in that my % of item to group and % of Group to Total went bad) and your work around.

I will use your because I need the % of item to Group and the % of group to total which I can't seem to make work with the rank method.

But can you tell me how you hid the columns.

Thanks

Rich De Rocco

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Rich,

Go to the presentation tab and select the option to Hide Column below the list of Columns. It appears to me that the correct order is kept as the hiden column are still used to sort the table.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Rich,
See if this can help. It is not a direct answer to your problem, but maybe you can find something you can use.
http://community.qlik.com/media/p/68595.aspx