Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBosch
Creator
Creator

Is there a way to see which objects are used (and where) in a report?

Hi

I have 1.500 objects (most text and charts) in an application. I have filled multiple reports but I 'find it hard' to figure out where I have placed an object. It would be great if there is a possibilty to see the Properties and find something like:

OBJECT ID: TX1244
RP01 - Page 34
RP03 - Page 30, 31, 45
or (-) orphaned.

Anyone an idea?

I sometimes delete an object but then it was still somewhere deep inside a report. Also the renaming the Object ID will disconnect the linkage on the report to the object... As far as I can think: a bug. No reason why you would want to loose the link and end up with 'missing objects' in your reports.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Loriguzman
Contributor II
Contributor II

@MrBosch wrote:

Hi

I have 1.500 objects (most text and charts) in an application. I have filled multiple reports but I 'find it hard' to figure out where I have placed an object. It would be great if there is a possibilty to see the Properties and find something like:

RP01 - Page 34
RP03 - Page 30, 31, 45
or (-) orphaned.

Anyone an idea?

I sometimes delete an object but then it was still somewhere deep inside a report. Also the renaming the Object ID will disconnect the linkage on the report to the object... As far as I can think: a bug. No reason why you would want to loose the link and end up with 'missing objects' in your reports.    targetpayandbenefits

Hello,

To track the usage and placement of objects in your reports is to maintain a comprehensive documentation or mapping system. This system should keep track of each object's ID and its corresponding location in the reports. By updating this documentation whenever objects are added, removed, or renamed, you can have a clear overview of where each object is used. Additionally, implementing a version control system or utilizing a report generation tool with built-in object tracking features may help simplify this process. 

View solution in original post

marcus_sommer

There are several possible ways to look which objects exists and where they are.

If it only relates to the sheet-level you could see the objects within the document + sheet properties in which you could also filter + sort in some degree and also export the structure. Within the most scenarios this is quite handy. But you won't get any overview to report-items on this way.

To get an overview to the report-items you could export the reports as xml-files from the report-editor which you could load in QlikView again. Quite similar - but with a lot more of information - would be to load the qvw as xml-file. At the begin it may not be very easy to comprehend the logic of the meta-data and it may cost some efforts but often it's done once and used for all applications and for years.

Another approach would be to read/write all these properties per vbs-macros. The APIGuide.qvw would be a good starting point for such tasks.

Within the most scenarios such measures aren't really needed else they could be considered as "nice to have" but not as must. The essential aspect is not to come in situations in which you loose the control/overview what's going on within the applications. This means simplifying everything and slicing ETL-tasks + applications + objects and their usage (directly as well as exports + prints) in appropriate logically/hierarchically parts.

The more complex and complicated an environment is designed the more efforts are needed to track and control all the meta-data and the more expensive becomes the documentation. In the end the above mentioned simplifying might be the more practically way because the administering and maintaining of the environment are already planned before an application is developed (it's not only Qlik related else true for all tools).   

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Loriguzman
Contributor II
Contributor II

@MrBosch wrote:

Hi

RP01 - Page 34
RP03 - Page 30, 31, 45
or (-) orphaned.

Anyone an idea?

I sometimes delete an object but then it was still somewhere deep inside a report. Also the renaming the Object ID will disconnect the linkage on the report to the object... As far as I can think: a bug. No reason why you would want to loose the link and end up with 'missing objects' in your reports.    targetpayandbenefits

Hello,

To track the usage and placement of objects in your reports is to maintain a comprehensive documentation or mapping system. This system should keep track of each object's ID and its corresponding location in the reports. By updating this documentation whenever objects are added, removed, or renamed, you can have a clear overview of where each object is used. Additionally, implementing a version control system or utilizing a report generation tool with built-in object tracking features may help simplify this process. 

marcus_sommer

There are several possible ways to look which objects exists and where they are.

If it only relates to the sheet-level you could see the objects within the document + sheet properties in which you could also filter + sort in some degree and also export the structure. Within the most scenarios this is quite handy. But you won't get any overview to report-items on this way.

To get an overview to the report-items you could export the reports as xml-files from the report-editor which you could load in QlikView again. Quite similar - but with a lot more of information - would be to load the qvw as xml-file. At the begin it may not be very easy to comprehend the logic of the meta-data and it may cost some efforts but often it's done once and used for all applications and for years.

Another approach would be to read/write all these properties per vbs-macros. The APIGuide.qvw would be a good starting point for such tasks.

Within the most scenarios such measures aren't really needed else they could be considered as "nice to have" but not as must. The essential aspect is not to come in situations in which you loose the control/overview what's going on within the applications. This means simplifying everything and slicing ETL-tasks + applications + objects and their usage (directly as well as exports + prints) in appropriate logically/hierarchically parts.

The more complex and complicated an environment is designed the more efforts are needed to track and control all the meta-data and the more expensive becomes the documentation. In the end the above mentioned simplifying might be the more practically way because the administering and maintaining of the environment are already planned before an application is developed (it's not only Qlik related else true for all tools).