Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II

IsNull not showing the result I require

Hi,

I have the attached Document.

I have a field called IsItMissing which I was expecting a value of 1 for the IdNo 3?

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes.

You create a field IsItMissing while loading rows from the second table. All areas in that table are present. ONLY THEN are you performing a LEFT JOIN to a table where the new records may have NULL values in Area. That's too late for IsItMissing.

Solution: add an additional step to reload the JOINed table into a new one, and create IsItMissing in that LOAD statement.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

The field value is only NULL in your resulting table after the JOIN, not when you are LOADing your second inline table.

You would need to do the check in a resident load of your resulting table to check for a NULL in the JOIN'ed tables.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes.

You create a field IsItMissing while loading rows from the second table. All areas in that table are present. ONLY THEN are you performing a LEFT JOIN to a table where the new records may have NULL values in Area. That's too late for IsItMissing.

Solution: add an additional step to reload the JOINed table into a new one, and create IsItMissing in that LOAD statement.

ivandrago
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi,

How would I do the additional step? Would you be able to show as I do not understand?

Thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

See the attachment to my previous post.

Best,

Peter

qlik_jaijhn
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,

You need to have a resident load after the left join and there we need to add the field. Please check the attached file.

Thanks, Jai