Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Isolating variables from a column

Hey,

I am new to Qlikview and compeletely lost in writing expressions. I have two questions:

I have a column titled "JobTItles" and a list of different jobs titles. I would like to count the amount of "Machine Operators" from that list of jobs. How can I do this?

I thought about using TextCount(), but how can I extract only the Machine Operators from the list? TextCount (JobTitles) gives me the number of all job titles.

Also, how would I go abouts deselecting specific fields from a list, say if I wanted all but the Machine Operators?

Sorry for such a simple question, but I really can't find this in the obvious places, or maybe I am wording it wrong. Please help!

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

1. SubStringCount()

2. Select one value-> Right click on that list box-> Select Excluded

Not applicable
Author

Hmm,  it does not show the "Machine Operator" on the list box, only JobTitle. I'm not sure how this works

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Could you post a sample qvw explaining the expected output there?

Not applicable
Author

try this

=count({<JobTItles={'Machine Operators'}>}Amount)

or

=sum({<JobTItles={'Machine Operators'}>}Amount)

Not applicable
Author

No worries!! I solved it it was the expression <> that excluded something form the list and <= that included only that thing. E.g. JobTitle <= 'Machine Operator' would only take in Machine Operators.