Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Key Creation

if i need to make a Key to link 2 tables but one of the fields is only is one of the tables, can i create a dummy field name to concatenate them?

Ex.

Table1:

FieldA & FieldB as Key,

FieldA,

FieldB

Table2:

FieldA,

FieldX

(i need FieldB to make the key so my tables will link correctly)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Parrish

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You don't need FieldB to link your tables, you'll need equal (AKA matching) values in field Key to link your tables.

So, if FieldB is constant, you can just add the constant value to your table2 Key:

Table2:

LOAD

FieldA & 'constString' as Key,

FieldX,

I assume your fieldB values are not constant, so how do you want to link your Key fields based on same value?

Not applicable
Author

So i am not quite following..

Table 1:

Item# & Store# as ItemStoreKey,

Item#,

Store#

Table 2:

Store#

(but i need item# to be able to link them so when i select different stores in a listbox, only corresponding items will show up for that particular store)

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think I may not follow you:

Table 1:

Item#,

Store#

Table 2:

Store#

Table 2 will link to table 1 assuming Store# values are matching in both tables.

So selecting a Store# (maybe from another field in Table 2, assuming store detail attributes), will automatically make only Item# available that are related to that Store# in Table1. You don't need another key, do you?

Not applicable
Author

so besides being able to link store# and item# i am also trying to apply a specific trait to count those stores and if i dont make a key then the trait store count just continues to give me the full count instead of just the specific stores. i tried to create a key which gave me a synthetic key/table but it does seem to be working correctly...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry, I am lost, don't know how you want to count to stores based on what criterium.

Could you upload a small sample with your data and your expected result?