Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sir_ogrim
Contributor II
Contributor II

LOAD all fields from RESIDENT

Hi!

This will most likely be a very easy newbie question, but I haven't been able to successfully Google it.

In this example, I want to load the whole [EXT_Person] table as [Person], but I also need to rename the [Id] field. This example solves the code problem:

Person:
LOAD
	Id AS %Person_Id,
RESIDENT EXT_Person;

DROP FIELD Id;
DROP TABLE EXT_Person;

However, I would like to load the fields like this, i.e. listing all the fields one by one:

Person:
LOAD
	Id AS %Person_Id,
    FirstName,
    LastName,
    ... etcetera ...
RESIDENT EXT_Person;

DROP TABLE EXT_Person;

My question is this: In the Qlik Sense Enterprise user interface, is there a way to do this load without having to type in all the field names manually? In my example I only need to rename one field, but having to rename multiple fields and then dropping them one by one is not pretty.

One slightly less cumbersome (but still rather clumsy) way to achieve this woud be to load the table from the Connection dialog once more (which would give me a full SQL SELECT and LOAD script) and then remove the SQL SELECT part. Note that the %Person_Id field is a key (it won't be unique), which (if I understand correctly) rules out the RENAME function.

I wish you all a great day!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

An alternatively to your approach might be the ALIAS feature which moved the rename-logic before the load.

Beside this method and other ways of renaming - with/without noconcatenate, qualifying, map using ... - none would list the fields. To get this you could use the load-wizard on the origin load - or sometimes better the first load was stored within a qvd and now you are loading per wizard from the qvd.

Personally, I wouldn't do this else doing it in beforehand - a resident-load which is just renaming a field is IMO superfluous ...

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Prashant_Naik
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi,

You can try for Qualify and Unqualify.

qualify *;

unqualify Id;

load *,

id as %Person_Id

resident tablename;

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/August2022/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/ScriptRegula...

Hope it helps!

sir_ogrim
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi! I'm afraid that doesn't solve the problem, since it requres unqualifying of each field to rename rather than dropping. What I'm looking for here is something like right-clicking on a table in SQL Server Management Studio and choosing "Select Top 1000 Rows" to get a script that I can easily modify. Something like "press CTRL-something to list all fields of a table". In other words, it's more of a GUI than a scripting question.

Thank you for you response!

marcus_sommer

An alternatively to your approach might be the ALIAS feature which moved the rename-logic before the load.

Beside this method and other ways of renaming - with/without noconcatenate, qualifying, map using ... - none would list the fields. To get this you could use the load-wizard on the origin load - or sometimes better the first load was stored within a qvd and now you are loading per wizard from the qvd.

Personally, I wouldn't do this else doing it in beforehand - a resident-load which is just renaming a field is IMO superfluous ...

- Marcus

sir_ogrim
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Ah, I many have been a bit unclear in my description of the problem. I do intend to transform some of the data, and rename some fields. All the loading has been done previously by looping through a bunch of tables and saving them as QVD.

But the Alias method will be quite useful. Tank you!

HOWEVER... I was not aware I could use the wizard to load a QVD. Don't ask me how I managed to overlook this... That perfectly solves my problem.

So... You solved this noob's problem and managed to teach him a bit more besides that.

Many thanks!