Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

License needed to share in AccessPoint?

What is needed to share comments and bookmarks in a dashboard in AccessPoint? Does the person you want to share with need to have a named license, or can they see the bookmarks and notes I've made even if they just have a document license?

Also, do I need to somehow save and then share my modified version of the dashboard with the person I want to share it with? (In other words, when I make modifications in AccessPoint, am I only changing how it looks for me?)

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Yes that is correct any changes you make online will only be seen by you unless you share the objects and the other user chooses to bring the object into their environment.

Regarding seeing other people's bookmarks and annotations, you will only see them if the users who owns them set them to be visible to you (or everyone).   

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

nce someone enters a QlikView document (aka dashboard), their type of license isn't a factor in their functionality.  So document users will have access to comment and bookmarks (assuming it is allow by security).   If you want to share objects then you need to do so in the object properties. See at 3:22 in this video you can see how to do that.  Editing a Chart Object Online in QlikView

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Josh! That's very helpful.

So, it's up to the administrator to set permissions (aka "enable collaboration") so that users of AccessPoint have the ability to modify dashboards. Assuming those are set properly, I see now how I can share an object with others in AccessPoint.

So, assuming securities are set accordingly, I should be able to view any comments and bookmarks made by another user in a dashboard - correct? I don't need to save my modified version of the dashboard?

Not applicable
Author

To clarify - it's been my understanding that when I make a change to the dashboard in AccessPoint, I'm just changing it on my side; no one else will see my modifications. I see now how I can let people see objects I've modified, but I'm not clear on how/whether people can see any bookmarks or comments I make.

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Yes that is correct any changes you make online will only be seen by you unless you share the objects and the other user chooses to bring the object into their environment.

Regarding seeing other people's bookmarks and annotations, you will only see them if the users who owns them set them to be visible to you (or everyone).   

Not applicable
Author

Great, thank you so much for your help!

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Collaboration and the resulting objects are a bit different. Here are some basic rules:

• Everything that resides in the QVW file is immutable, except for size and position. Basically you can't change what the document creator designed.

• If you create server objects (i.e. AccessPoint objects), they are stored in what QLikTech calls the "Repository" (but in reality that's just the .shared file with the same name as the original document)

• Server objects belong to you only. Whenever you open the same document in the AccessPoint, QlikView server will merge your server objects into the basic QVW file before displaying the document. You can still change / delete / copy the server objects you created.

• If you mark some of your server objects as "Shared" and assign a target group to those shared objects, those target users will see your objects popping up in their repository (be careful: this can become messy). So shared objects will never automatically appear in other users instances of the same document. They need to drag-n-drop those objects from their Repository into their instance of the document.

• A new sheet cannot be shared. Also you cannot share objects in group, just like you can't really group objects in QlikView. Every object has to be shared individually, and other users have to reassemble their version of a new sheet you came to design piece by piece.

Comments are a little bit different, in that they follow the discussion forum paradigm. But they're still connected to a single portal document, they reside outside of the document and are visible to a specific target group only ("everybody" is also a possible target group)

Hope this makes a few things clearer. If not, ask away.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Peter! I appreciate the clarification.

It sounds like the best way, then, to share personalizations/modifications to a dashboard is to go to the developer and request the changes directly. (Making the changes yourself, and then directing others to go to their repository to drag-n-drop any new objects and make the same changes to their own instance sounds quite messy and complicated.) In other words, it sounds like it's not really advisable to make a lot of changes to a dashboard, if the hope is to share it with others. Let me know if you disagree, or if I'm overlooking something.

Can you provide some additional clarity on comments? For example, if User 1 adds a comment to an object in a dashboard, and shares it with a target group of "everybody," does User 2 need to do anything to see the comment? Or, once the comment has been added and shared, could User 2 just open the dashboard and select "Show/Hide Notes" in order to see it?

Thank you!

Danielle

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

If you want to use your modification to make changes for everyone, you can open the app using the IE Plugin via Access Point and the simply copy and paste (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) the objects into the development environment (aka QlikView desktop).  Note you must open the app using the IE Plugin to do this.

Regarding comments.  If User 1 creates a comment and shares it with "everyone" the the comment will appear for User 2 without User2 doing anything except requiring a refresh of the app. By 'refresh' I mean make a selection etc., the comment will not appear like an instant message.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the suggestion, however I wouldn't necessarily want to my modification to make changes for everyone. The situation would be more like this: One person makes some modifications (perhaps adds a new sheet, adds some new objects, makes specific selections, etc.), and wants a small number of others to see the same thing.

Thanks for your information on comments! That helps.