Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

List box set analysis with wildmatch

I would like to display in a list box, an imported account list that matches our customer names inside of the existing dashboard.  This has to be a wildmatch.  Less than 1% of the account name spellings match our customer name spellings.  If this cannot be done in a list box, can this be done in a where clause?

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Dan,

Although it will do your load script real slow, this might give you an idea:

Table:

LOAD *

FROM File.xls

WHERE WildMatch(Name, '*John*', '*Peter*', '*Mark*', '*Paul*', 'Mic?ael');

Using a mapping table and the ApplyMap() function in the WHERE clause might do as well:

NamesToLoadMap:

MAPPING LOAD * INLINE [

Name, OK

John Peters, 1

Mark Walls, 1

Michael Strong, 1

];

Table:

LOAD *

FROM File.xls

WHERE ApplyMap('NamesToLoadMap', Name, '$$') = 1;

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Miguel,  Thanks for the response.  The wildmatch would work, but requires a lot of work.  The applymap would only work for the names that are spelled the same, correct?  I was looking for a way to do something like a where exists.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Dan,

That's right, mapping tables will work only for values that are spelled the same, and yes, WildMatch() means a lot of hardcoding. EXISTS() is available in QlikView, but has a different meaning (only values previously loaded). There's nothing like "SOUNDEX" or similar in QlikView.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Dan,

If you decide to try the WildMatch approach, it may be easier with a table driven aproach like in the attached example.

I think it would be relatively easy to code up a soundex function in the vb module that you could call from the script.

-Rob