Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Listbox Selections

Hi,

In the attached sample file, I have 2 listboxes with 2 different fields - MonthCurrent and MonthProjected. I want to allow user to select months from both the listboxes simultaneously and the sales amount should be calculated accordingly, but its not working right now. Is this possible without using alternate states?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's hard to advise a model without knowing the full requirements.

I am pretty confident that you can keep the two fact tables and link them with a key, and create another table with this key and all your common dimension.

In general, if you want to make indepent selections e.g. on field date, it's easier to have these date fields in separated tables, linked by a key field. If both fields reside in the same table, any selection will limit the records (this is what you have observed already). You can try to workaround this with data islands / alternate states and set analysis, but you don't like this option neither.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe like attached

Not applicable
Author

Hi Swuehl,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of this option. However, I do not want to change the data model. Since there are many other dimension tables in my actual data model. If I split the fact table into 2 fact tables - one for current and one for projected, this would create circular loops since both fact tables would have to be connected to all the remaining dimension tables. Is it possible to do this without changing the data model?

Thanks.

sunny_talwar

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use Alternate State? I feel that was the best solution, but you are not wanting to use it?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

It's hard to advise a model without knowing the full requirements.

I am pretty confident that you can keep the two fact tables and link them with a key, and create another table with this key and all your common dimension.

In general, if you want to make indepent selections e.g. on field date, it's easier to have these date fields in separated tables, linked by a key field. If both fields reside in the same table, any selection will limit the records (this is what you have observed already). You can try to workaround this with data islands / alternate states and set analysis, but you don't like this option neither.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Alternate states is working fine. However, since all my other listbox objects or objects without formula in the dashboard holds the regular inherited states, the alternate states listboxes would not work for them. Hence, I am trying for solution without requiring alternate states if possible. If there is no other way, I will use alternate states.

Thanks!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Swuehl! I will try with 2 fact tables and see if there are any circular loops. If there are none, I will use this approach. Thanks again!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Swuehl.

Though there are no circular loops in my data model after adding 2 fact tables, connecting the 2 fact tables does not allow to select both the fields simultaneously. See attached.

Thanks,

Sheetal.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Your table should be linked by a key field, e.g. Customer, Article etc.

If you don't have a key, just create an artifical one.

You are linking your two tables using your sales facts, which is not what you want.

MarcoWedel

please post some examples of selections in both fields and your expected result.

thanks

regards

Marco