Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Listbox which impacts a different field?

I have a situation where a given record may have multiple "Tags" associated with it.  The tags are stored in a varchar(max) field in the database and each tag is comma separated.  I also have a table of all possible tags.

What I need to do is give the users a listbox of the possible tags (a stand-alone table), and then use something on the other field which filters the data in a wildcard manner (LIKE)?  So if the user selects Tag1 and Tag2 from the listbox.  The actual data field may have values like "Tag1" for one record but "Tag7,Tag4,Tag2" in another.  I need it to identify all records which have any of the relevant values anywhere in it and have that as the filter.

Can I have a listbox on one field but have the filter apply to a different field in a wildcard manner and the wildcard by dynamic depending on how many values they select?

Thanks.

Mark.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Mark,

I don't see a problem.  You can do it all using that list box, no artificial complications needed.  See attached.

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Mark,

Here is a way how to implement this.  For example, you have a table named DATA that contains this field with comma-separated tags.  Let's assume the field name is Tags.  Create additional logical table:

LOAD DISTINCT
Tags,
trim(subfield(Tags,',')) as Tag
RESIDENT DATA;

Now, the field Tag contains all values, and selections in this field will return the result you need.

Regards,
Michael

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Michael,

I currently have a separate table that has all the distinct tag values.  However, using that field for a listbox does me no good as it does not filter the table which has the data I want.

The data I want to filter also has a Tags field but there the tags are a comma delimited string.  What I need is to be able to select a tag from the listbox on the dimensional table, and have it effect the field on the data table.  It also needs to be a "Like" match "Like '%Tag1%', '%Tag2%'", etc.  Thus, if I select multiple items in the dimensional listbox, I'll need to create a match string that will dynamically be used to filter the main data set.

Regards,

Mark.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Mark,

I don't see a problem.  You can do it all using that list box, no artificial complications needed.  See attached.

Regards,

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Sorry, I didn't understand the solution you were talking about as I read it initially.  Seeing it in action confirms that will do exactly as I need.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for confirmation Mark.  I thought one time maybe I got the requirements wrong...