Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Loading data from PostgreSQL - string length limit exceeded?

Could anyone please advise how can I load data in Qlikview script from a PostgreSQL where one table has a column of Text type with a size of 2,147,483,647. This contains an encoded list of items and their individual counts. The ASCII standard <GS> and <RS> are used to separate elements within a record. E.g. the data looks like <GS>1<RS>AAA<GS>3<RS>BBB<GS>4<RS>CCC<GS>. And I want to break it down into each records like the below:

Count    Item

1              AAA

3              BBB

4              CCC

I know I can use subfield function to decode such format, however, the text of this value could be so long that seems exceed the length limit of String supported by Qlikview.

I looked for information online and found this page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/ODBC_connector_help/Content/Connectors_ODBC/Postgr... where it suggests the limit is 16384.

Am I correct?  Is there any workaround or suggestion?  Thank you very much in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I think that the mentioned length-limit relates to the applied odbc-driver and it's not the limit from the Qlik side of how many chars could be stored within a single field-value. Therefore another driver might have more resources especially if it's a 64-bit driver.

Maybe easier than that might be to store this table as csv and loading then the content as flat-file into Qlik.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think that the mentioned length-limit relates to the applied odbc-driver and it's not the limit from the Qlik side of how many chars could be stored within a single field-value. Therefore another driver might have more resources especially if it's a 64-bit driver.

Maybe easier than that might be to store this table as csv and loading then the content as flat-file into Qlik.

- Marcus

Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks very much Marcus! 

Your comment about odbc driver led me to think there is a setting on my odbc driver and I've reconfigured the Max LongVarChar to  2,147,483,647. And the issue is gone now!