Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

MS SQL 2016 Always Encrypted Qlik ETL

Hi,

Does anyone have experience in reading data into Qlik that utilises the Microsoft SQL 2016 Always Encrypted functionalities?

4 Replies
kgershman
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

I'm also interested in this topic.  My testing so far with standard Qlik ODBC SQL Connectors is not promising.  I'll share what I find.

jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Yes, please do share what you find.

matteo_mi
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

any news about this topic?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just saw this as I'm looking at encrypting a production SQL Server DB.

On my desktop PC, Win 10, I created a new test DB and went thru the Encrypt Columns wizard to apply Always Encrypted. In SSMS I could query the data but, as expected, it returns long strings of gobbledy-gook. I was dismayed to learn that SSMS can't apply the master key and do updates or inserts, etc on encrypted columns. Before I encrypt the production SQL DB, I need to make sure all client apps that connect to it can decrypt the data and manipulate it, and that includes QlikView.

I created an ODBC DSN for SQL using ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server with all the standard settings and used this in a little QV desktop doc to connect to my new test DB. It populated a table box and some of the columns showed gobbledy-gook.

I went back to the ODBC administrator and reconfigured the same DSN. Hit Next twice and at the bottom is a tick box 'Column Encryption'. Tick that, Next and Finish. Back in QV, reload and there's my decrypted data. Simple as that.