Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

MS SQL 2016 Always Encrypted Qlik ETL

Hi,

Does anyone have experience in reading data into Qlik that utilises the Microsoft SQL 2016 Always Encrypted functionalities?

4 Replies
kgershman
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

I'm also interested in this topic.  My testing so far with standard Qlik ODBC SQL Connectors is not promising.  I'll share what I find.

jarno_loubser
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Yes, please do share what you find.

matteo_mi
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

any news about this topic?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just saw this as I'm looking at encrypting a production SQL Server DB.

On my desktop PC, Win 10, I created a new test DB and went thru the Encrypt Columns wizard to apply Always Encrypted. In SSMS I could query the data but, as expected, it returns long strings of gobbledy-gook. I was dismayed to learn that SSMS can't apply the master key and do updates or inserts, etc on encrypted columns. Before I encrypt the production SQL DB, I need to make sure all client apps that connect to it can decrypt the data and manipulate it, and that includes QlikView.

I created an ODBC DSN for SQL using ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server with all the standard settings and used this in a little QV desktop doc to connect to my new test DB. It populated a table box and some of the columns showed gobbledy-gook.

I went back to the ODBC administrator and reconfigured the same DSN. Hit Next twice and at the bottom is a tick box 'Column Encryption'. Tick that, Next and Finish. Back in QV, reload and there's my decrypted data. Simple as that.