Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Making "Current selection" the new starting point

Dear Qlikview Experts,

In my QV document I am having trouble comparing different field values properly.

After doing a couple of selections and narrowing down the selected outcome, I have trouble exploring and comparing these final values.

An example of my issue:

Firstly, I select region London. Secondly, I select the people working in the IT department. Thirdly, I select the current month. These are my basic selections. Based on an expression situated within a Straight Table I get displayed all the IT personal who have had increasing working hours through the last months looking at the current month compared to the two prior.

This is great. I get all the people from the IT department whom I would like to look at displayed in the straight table.

I then select all the possible (by manually selecting them in the straight table. Is there a better way?). Now I have all the people selected.

My final question is as follows:

I have all the relevant people selected, but when I carry this information with me into the next sheets I am having a hard time comparing them. When I select a unique person from the field value box, I automatically "deselect"/exclude all the other. The are now scrambled into the "excluded" selection.

This would imply me having to go back to the first sheet, do the selections and the taking No. 2, 3, 4, 5 on the list etc.

Is it possible to have a selection of people carried to another sheet, and the freezing these fields so that it is ONLY these, say 20 people, who are displayed in the field value (Other than locking them, thus making unique selection impossible). This would mean that I would be able to quickly select between the different results, as it is only the relevant showing.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hey Andreas,

If I followed correctly you are losing selections when you switch to a new sheet and click like one name and to get everything back you have to go back to the previous sheet?

Why dont you use Back button?

Or am I missing something.

Thanks

AJ

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Andreas,

maybe like attached?

Please note that I created an alternate state in settings - document properties - general tab and set the second sheet to the alternate state.

Not applicable
Author

Hi AJ,

That is of course an option, but it does not quite do the job.

You are correct in your example of me losing selections when I switch to a new sheet and click on a name. Here, the back option would do it.

The problem is that I would in fact like to be able to make this one selection, followed by many more (exploring the many options, and views that my sheet no. 2 offers). Then after doing this, I would like to be able to select No. 2 on the list of names and so on. This would imply that I, or anyone else using the application, had to use the "back" button a lot.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

- Andreas

Not applicable
Author

Hi Swuehl,

Unfortunately I am not able to see anything attached.

I have already played around with the alternate state a bit. Do you know if it is possible to, have one sheet "inherent" data from another, but not the other way around. I.E. Sheet No. 2 gets the data from sheet No. 1, but when doing selections in sheet No. 2 it does not change sheet No. 1.

So like a "one-way" inherent. 

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I can still see and open the attachment (you won't see attachment in your inbox, you need to open the thread).

As you probably know, the standard QV behaviour is that a selection is affecting all sheets, all charts, if you have a linked data model (i.e. no data islands).

Everything else is kind of a hack or workaround.

You can use alternate states (like demonstrated in my attached file), but you would probably need to apply a little magic to all your chart expressions (so that every chart in the alternate state sheet is aware of the selection in default state sheet), there is no automatism I am aware of that does what you want.

Instead of alternate states (for example when using older versions of QV), you can use bookmark and triggers to save selections to bookmarks and reapply stored selections when moving from one sheet to another, so you could implement something like a one-way-inherent also with triggers / bookmarks. There are some sample files available here in the forum that demonstrate this approach.