Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marksmunich
Creator III
Creator III

Memory management in QlikView Standalone Installation

Hello QlikViewer's,

I need your inputs for the topic: 'memory Management in QlikView Standalone Installation'. Currently i have a licenced version of QlikView installed on my High performance PC with  256GB RAM(approx 192GB Available for use) . It's not a server. When i run qlikview app to analyse data. the RAM consumption is reaching maxium memory and then app is almost not responding, since no more RAM is available. Is there any Method to fix the limit for Qlikview App's or any process with which we can free the RAM at frequent intervals.

Thanks

Mark

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can check and adjust the working set limits (Settings-User Preferences-General tab), though I think it would be better to check the cause for the memory consumption.

Is it only your installation that shows this issue?

You can limit the number of records being read in in debug mode and then check, if there is something wrong in the data model script, like creating a cross join, a cartesian product of all records.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Does this anomaly happen

• during script execution? Then you may have to clean up some LOAD statements or reorganize the assembly of your data model.
  • during the usage of a QVW document (without reloading it) and while you are visiting a particular sheet or object? Then you may have either an object (chart, table box or whatever) that uses bad associations, or your data model may have a few (almost) disconnected tables.

The effect you are experiencing is caused by Paging, which should be avoided at all times. What's the size of your document on disk?

Peter

marksmunich
Creator III
Creator III
Author

What does this Setting define  exactly ? i have checked Datamodel thoroughly, unfortanetly couldnt find any Errors.

I didnot check on other systems. But this App has very poor performance.

what exaclty do you mean by creating cross join or cartesian products of all records. how to resolve this ?

the Size of the QVW is approx 1GB. Datasets varies in millions, i guess the max is 50 Million.

thanks for your inputs.

marksmunich
Creator III
Creator III
Author

It does not happen during the script execution. It happens during the usage of QVW. It's increasing gradually when i move from one sheet to the next sheet. I have verified my datamodel, It's a Starschema with proper joins . The size of the Document is approx 1GB.

Thanks for your inputs.

daniel_kusiak
Creator II
Creator II

Try runnig your document through QV Document Analyzer. You can find it here - Tools | Qlikview Cookbook

QV Document Analyzer

Version 2.4, Mar 26, 2015

This tool is used to analyze the structure of a qvw. The analysis focuses on what fields are used and where. This information can be to used to tune the performance of a Document or investigate the impact of data changes.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

This document should explain these settings:

http://www.qlik.com/us/~/media/Files/resource-library/global-us/direct/datasheets/DS-Technical-Brief...

But I agree with Peter that you need to check your objects. Try to identify the objects that consume a lot of memory and double check the dimensions / expressions.

Are you sure you are not doing a cartesian product using e.g. dimensions that are not properly linked in your data model?

marksmunich
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks. This is the first thing i have started to use in order to tune the performance of QVW.

marksmunich
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I am sure. I am not doing cartesian product in my data model. I have verified it.