cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmetkara
Contributor
Contributor

MySQL View does not update with latest data from a QlikView "Reload"

I've created a View in a MySQL Database.

I'm successfully connecting to the MySQL DB via an ODBC MySQL Unicode 8.0 connector. Then, inside my QlikView script, I'm able to pull data from the View I have created via the ODBC. 

However, the "load"/"reload" function in QlikView does not refresh the contents of the MySQL View. It simply pulls the latest data in the view from whenever the latest query from an actual RDBMS was.

I can go into SQLYog or MariaDB, query the view, and it pulls the latest data. However, whenever I press "reaload data" in QlikView, it's as if it doesn't behave like a true query despite the "SELECT * FROM" statement in my script.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a workaround to this where I can update the View via a data pull within QlikView?

Thank you in advance.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

In my understanding is a view a fixed data-set which didn't change unless the query behind the view is again executed. You may schedule an appropriate update-task within the data-base or you don't used the view as source else the query behind it as source for your Qlik call.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

In my understanding is a view a fixed data-set which didn't change unless the query behind the view is again executed. You may schedule an appropriate update-task within the data-base or you don't used the view as source else the query behind it as source for your Qlik call.

ahmetkara
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you, Marcus.

I was hoping the Qlik call would cause the View to update, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I prefer to stick to using the View because I have a somewhat complex query populating the View, and I prefer to handle that within the DB rather than the QlikView script.

I don't know if QlikView is capable of handling Subqueries and other higher-level MySql/Sql functions within the Load Script. I have played around a little bit with this with no success, probably due to my shortcomings.

For the short-time, an auto-update task for the View seems to be the best option.

marcus_sommer

Qlik has great capabilities in regard to ETL tasks and quite probably could many complex matters be done more simple and performant as within a data-base - especially if it's done within an incremental multi-tier data-architecture in a well designed environment.

But of course it's not a quick job and needs some experience (not more as with other tools but also no lesser know how). So it's more a long-term decision which tools should do which work within the company environment and it's not easy to balance the costs and efforts between multiple specialized tools and using just a few general tools.