Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewcraven
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting 17.6: How to best manage user filters for multiple distribution emails?

Hi Guys,

Struggling with a this problem (NPrinting 17.6):  one dashboard, one NPrinting App, one connection.  Want to distribute 3 different emails (PM Distro, CM Distro, and Hot Item Distro) to same individual over the span of a day (10 AM, 12 PM, 2 PM), using Import tasks to create/update/remove users and filters, then distribute reports.  My filters are idiosyncratically named by user; examples:

Filter 1:  Name = "PM Distro Filter - johnsmith-at-somedomain-dot-com"; Values = [field1]={"value1","value2"}

Filter 2:  Name = "CM Distro Filter - johnsmith-at-somedomain-dot-com"; Values = [field2]={"value3","value4"}

Filter 3:  Name = "Hot Item Filter = johnsmith-at-somedomain-dot-com"; Values = [field3]={"value5"}

I build these filters dynamically via Qlikview Charts, save them to a network drive, then use Import Task for the create, update, delete.  But what ends up happening is that a single NPrinting user gets all three filters are applied for each task run, and since field1, field2, and field3 all exist in the dashboard I end up with the logical Filter 1 AND Filter 2 AND Filter 3...bad report.

This is my workaround, please tell me if there's a better way:

PM Distro at 10 AM:

-Run Publish Task "Delete My Filters" which saves an empty import file userfilters.xlsx to the network.

-Run the Import Task "User Filters" to ingest this empty file to delete all filters previously created by Import Task "User Filters".

-Run a Publish Task from the dashboard (to same file userfilters.xlsx on the network), creating a single filter, idiosyncratically named by user: "[DashboardName] johnsmith-at-somedomain-dot-com"; Values = [whatever i want]

-Run the Import Task "User Filters" again, creating the filter.

-Run the Distro Publish Task that sends the emails, properly filtered.

CM Distro at 12 PM:

-[Repeat steps above, wiping and recreating the filter as needed]

Hot Item Distro at 2 PM:

-[same]

I tried to skip the Delete step, but then the values get appended to the filter--which was unexpected; I thought it should just update.

I tried different connection strings (thinking they would dictate which filter to use) but no dice; what are they for?

andy

0 Replies