Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III

Need Template to get details from DB team, like source to target mapping

Hi Team ,

Am working for new client where they are not able to give the tables required for each requirement(which is mandatory).

in general giving the tables name and columns mapping like which field gives which information, all these details are provided by the BA or Data Developer who have good knowledge on the tables.

but in my case both of them are not aware which tables to use, and which columns to use....??

Instead of finding the details of tables, they are some times stating that qlik developer can look into this...this is not possible right ??

we may end up with renerating the wrong report for requirement by fecthing the wrong data...

so preparing the list of items i need before i start the development...can any body guide me the correct way to avoid unneccessary burdens on me...

and also please provide the template for requirements. or source to taget mapping document..

thanks in advance..

regards,

dhasharadh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MK9885
Master II
Master II

I don't think as a developer I'd not have idea of what's inside a data warehouse unless you actually work with the BA or Data Modelers for preparing the Data Model in warehouse.

You should ask the business/BA to tell which fields/tables/views are to be fetched so that you do not bring unnecessary data into Qlik. Also ask from what year to what year data is required, if that is a requirement?

With that said,

Both Qlik and BA team has to prepare their own Source to target document. Theirs would be different and your's would be what tables/fields/views you are pulling in from which schema.

Take a screenshot of the Data Model they have, yours would of course not be ready until you finish your transformation. Get theirs Data Model to understand more about Dimensions/Fact/keys

You can make a table

S.No    Source     Schema      Table/View     Keys(Primary)      Fact/Dimension   

Maybe there are few other things that can be added. but I'd go with the above format, it is simple and later on you can add a Conditional field drop column if there is any?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MK9885
Master II
Master II

I don't think as a developer I'd not have idea of what's inside a data warehouse unless you actually work with the BA or Data Modelers for preparing the Data Model in warehouse.

You should ask the business/BA to tell which fields/tables/views are to be fetched so that you do not bring unnecessary data into Qlik. Also ask from what year to what year data is required, if that is a requirement?

With that said,

Both Qlik and BA team has to prepare their own Source to target document. Theirs would be different and your's would be what tables/fields/views you are pulling in from which schema.

Take a screenshot of the Data Model they have, yours would of course not be ready until you finish your transformation. Get theirs Data Model to understand more about Dimensions/Fact/keys

You can make a table

S.No    Source     Schema      Table/View     Keys(Primary)      Fact/Dimension   

Maybe there are few other things that can be added. but I'd go with the above format, it is simple and later on you can add a Conditional field drop column if there is any?

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

hi thanks for the reply,

added compiste key(if any) and reporting field name to your list.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Np, sure... you can add columns as per your understanding.