Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Need help with Dimension. . . or Expression? Not even sure.

Hi, I have a table with 3 records. I want to create a pie chart for each record in the table, and I have a column that will identify which row will feed with pie chart. So lets say I have rows A, B, and C, and I have Pie Chart 1, and I want the columns of row A to be used as the expressions in that chart.

So knowing exactly what row I want, I can't figure out how to tell the pie chart to only select the row where Column1 = 'A'. When I try to do that in the dimension, I get all of the rows. If I break up my main SQL load into seperate resident tables, this is no problem, but I want the table and pie charts to interact based on what the user might select in the table, and when I use resident tables, they dont seem to join. Anyone have any ideas how I can set the pie chart to only consider a value in the table I want?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Just remove the dimension from the pie chart leaving only the expressions.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

There are two ways. You can add Column1 as dimension and enable the trellis option so a pie chart is generated for every value in Column1. The other option is to create separate pie charts for each value and use set analysis expressions. For example sum(Column2) would become sum({<Column1={'A'}>}Column2) for the expression for the Column2 slice of the pie chart for value A of Column1.

Not applicable
Author

Many thanks Gysbert, I had no idea what the trellis option was and while it looks cool, I would rather develop the 3 pie charts distinctivly.

The expression you wrote works great in a bar graph, which is how I started building my chart,  but once I get to changing it to a pie, it seems to only recognize one column. Any idea why this error occures when I make the switch? I attached the report.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Just remove the dimension from the pie chart leaving only the expressions.

Not applicable
Author

AWESOME many thanks Gysbert.

Quick follow up though, du to my ignorance, but why did removing the Dimension fix this?

jrdunson
Creator
Creator

Gysbert, just a question on this...why is only one value showing up on the Data Points, and not all of them?  Each Expression has the following checked:  "Values on Data Points" - yet only one displays