Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Need to Know FORCE keyword in qlikview

Hi,

I want to know about force keyword in scripting with example.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe the FORCE keyword is rarely used. Here's an explanation. Consider this script.

Customer:
LOAD * INLINE [
Customer, Sales
A, 1000
];

Region:
LOAD * INLINE [
CUSTOMER, Region
A, West
];

If you load this, the two customer fields will not associate (link), because they are not exactly the same.

If, at the start of the load, you add:

FORCE Case Upper;

All field names will be uppercased. So both customer fields will be named "CUSTOMER" and they will link. This has the side effect of uppercasing SALES and REGION as well.

The other FORCE options "Lower" & "Capitalization", will have a similar effect of forcing all fields to be either lowercased or capitalized. The result is that all fields with the same spelling will be linked, regardless of casing used in the script.

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I believe the FORCE keyword is rarely used. Here's an explanation. Consider this script.

Customer:
LOAD * INLINE [
Customer, Sales
A, 1000
];

Region:
LOAD * INLINE [
CUSTOMER, Region
A, West
];

If you load this, the two customer fields will not associate (link), because they are not exactly the same.

If, at the start of the load, you add:

FORCE Case Upper;

All field names will be uppercased. So both customer fields will be named "CUSTOMER" and they will link. This has the side effect of uppercasing SALES and REGION as well.

The other FORCE options "Lower" & "Capitalization", will have a similar effect of forcing all fields to be either lowercased or capitalized. The result is that all fields with the same spelling will be linked, regardless of casing used in the script.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It's in fact so rarely used that a bug has snuck in there and forcing case upper/lower does not work in the current QV 9 release, yet we've only had one person notice it. This is listed as Bug 24298.

Not applicable
Author

Yes I too worked out in Version 9 only.It is nt working.So confused.Thnks for ur information.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob Wunderlich,

Thanks for your simple and brilliant explaination

Regards,

Rand