Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie question - Can we only load metadata to create reports

Hi I am new to QlikView and just installed the Personal Edition.

I am trying to connect to my data warehouse and create a simple report.

The data set is quite big with millions of rows data in any fact tables.

when i tried to create something like a data model with few Fact and dimension tables, it seemed like it is trying to get whole data into QlikView. Is it the case?

If so,

Can i just create a model so the data obtained is only the query?

suppose i want to create a chart for sales i want QlikView to get only the data for the date i have selected in chart level from data warehouse instead of getting all the data at once even before the need for data has arise.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

SN

3 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes, with a fixed calendar that yoiu create in the UI and that fills a variable with the date you selected, you can then launch the load script that takes into account the content of the data variable and transfers no other data from your source than what is connected to the selected date.

However, QlikView works a bit differently. In normal circumstances, reload and analysis are two separate processes. The reload often happens when no-one is using the document and transfers everything ( ! ) you could possibly need during analysis. When the reload is finished, the document is saved and you can analyse its content without any connection to your original data sources. A QVW document usually contains a snapshot, possibly reduced or not, of the entire source environment you want to investigate.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Not sure if I understood you correctly but...

Try using Where condition at the end of your query

If you want to bring data only from year 2016

SQL Select * From YourSchemaAndTableName

Where Year>='2016';

This would only bring data from Year 2016.

Similar can be done for Date

Where Date>='01/01/2016'; at the end of your query.

This would limit the data from your DB to be loaded into Qlik. this would only work if you want data from 2016 but not if you want to limit data only for 1 chart specifically

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Peter and Aehman much appreciated.

I am not looking to limit the data set with dates as business users at times search for historic data and we may not have enough time to involve technical team to create or update existing app to get old data..

The requirement for reload based on parameters will only comes when users are running the report.

Thanks for your help.