Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karl_Hart
Creator
Creator

Normalising Data

I have a set of sales figures for the year, I want to be able to normalise them by dividing them by the price at a point in time (for example, January).

I am unable to get the Sales / Price figure to work for the full year when I have set the price figure to be for January. The issue is further complicated by needed it done at Site / Product level, so my original data has a "sum(aggr(sum" in it

Please see attached qvw.

This is a made up example as the data for the real example is sensitive and more complex but hopefully, a solution to this simple problem will help with my real world example.

Any thoughts / help welcome.

Thanks

Labels (4)
3 Replies
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

Why don' t you add another field to your table during the data load to calculate the No of products sold ?
Karl_Hart
Creator
Creator
Author

Lisa, as mentioned - this is a made up example of a much more complicated issue I'm trying to resolve. The solution will hopefully have many applications including removing price fluctuations, remove the impact of currency on transactions etc. So I need to know if it is possible to normalise data as described, I don't really need to know that sales volumes of the data in the example.

marcus_sommer

I think I wouldn't try it within the UI because the aggr() could become quite complex and by larger datasets they are probably rather slow. This means I would calculate it within the script with:

t1:
load *, Site & '|' & Product as KEY, date(date#(Date_T, 'DD/MM/YYYY'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') as Date;
Load * Inline [
Site , Product , Date_T , Sales , Price
Site 1 , Product A , 01/01/2019 , 874 , 9.95
Site 1 , Product A , 01/02/2019 , 583 , 9.86

The date-stuff is just a quick adjustments to my local settings to ensure it's interpreted as date but the KEY is important to associate the table with the new princing-table, which is:

t2: load KEY, month(Date) as PriceMonth, avg(Price) as PriceAvg resident t1 group by KEY, month(Date);

And then you could use: =Sum(Sales) / avg(PriceAvg) as expression in your origin pivot and the month-switching happens over the selection from PriceMonth. It results in:

clipboard_image_0.png

- Marcus