Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Opening previous files

I'm a very new user to Qlikview and have what is probably a very straightforward question! I have created a few files with various data sets (all simple single excel based tables). When I go back into old files all the data and charts etc seem to have disappeared - only the most recent file data and charts are still there and working fine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

what do you mean when you go back into old files - excel files or qvw files?  are you saving yourn qvw as the same name after reloads?  are you saving the applciation at all after reloads

The data and the objects are saved at the time you save the object - each time you do a reload the data is updated.  Whenever you save an applciation, it will save the objects at that time along with the data

If you do a reload and save, the application will have the most recent data and objects, and when you reopen the applciation, that is what will be there

can you please clarify your issue/problem

Digvijay_Singh

Are you using personal edition which is reinstalled recently?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You mean that you create App1.QVW from ExcelA and next you create App2.QVW from ExcelB and after reloading App2, App1 suddenly contains data from ExcelB?

Are you sure you save your QlikView documents as much as possible? If you do not explicitly reload a document, the data in it will not change.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the very quick responses! It is a personal version only installed once & never reinstalled.

All the following 5 were created from separate Excel files with no reloads. I've also created new files since then. whenever I try and open any other file than the most recent one I just get a blank screen with no data/charts etc. From file size (especially SB5 and SB3) would indicate there is some data in there somewhere!

Thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Have you been experimenting with Section Access?

A user with role=ADMIN will get data reduction too (and when saving the reduced document may delete all data from the QVW file) but may start a Reload and suddenly the data model is filled to the top. If you save at that moment, all data is again stored in the document.

Not applicable
Author

Peter - haha I haven't the knowledge to be experimenting with Section Access!! I basically used the create new file, followed the wizard through the steps then added a few basic charts! I definitely saved each file as I went along (and only ever had one file open at a time!).

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Ok. Next attempt: did you ever open a document using the rightmousebutton-menu in the QV Desktop Start page and selecting Open XXXX without Data...?

Not applicable
Author

depending on what point you saved the files would depend on what data and objects are in the sved version

Is there are reason there are 6 different qvw files?  all of the files can be loaded into a single qvw with different table names as well as making the field names unique if necessary, or concatenating the files together, if that is the goal

Not applicable
Author

No, just your standard run of the mill new, open and save!