Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Out of Virtua and/or Logical Memory

hi

I'm trying to reload data from Excel, but I keep getting an error stating "OUT OF VIRTUAL AND/OR LOGICAL MEMORY ALLOCATING 1024MB" I'm not a computer wiz, but can someone advise me on what I can do to get the data loaded into Qlikview.

Thanks

Karabo

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I think you have a lot of records in your excel file that your computer's memory cannot handle when loading to your QLikview.

Try reloading the data in the excel partially, if it loads then defintly you need more memory in your computer.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hello Karabo,

Qlikview is loading all the data into your memory (RAM). Therefor it is very fast in analytics and calculation. Your message points to that your computer has not enough memory to load your data. In this forum are a lot of threads concerning this topic:

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/18337.aspx

Regards, Roland

Not applicable
Author

The data is less than 600KB in size and I deleted some old documents in my computer.

How do I check how much RAM I'm using and how much is available?

Not applicable
Author

Hello Karabo,

there are two different types of memory in your computer. One is disk-memory, this is not important. The other is the main-memory (also called random access mem (RAM)) of your computer. You can watch the consumption of your RAM using the task manager.

I am a little bit afraid because your excel is with only 600KB not very large. This indicates that you have very poor RAM left for QV.

Are you able to post a snapshot of your taskmanager so we can see your memory parameters?

RR

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

One can get "OUT OF VIRTUAL AND/OR LOGICAL MEMORY" when loading funny data, ex unbalanced quotes. Ex second line bellow with the unmatched double quote will cause the error message in QV9. In QV10 load will succeed, but with ignoring all rows after the bad data , until the end of the file.

'a1';'b1';'c1';'1''a2';'"b2';'c2';'2''a3';'b3';'c3';'3'

So look for unbalanced single quotes, unbalanced doublequotes. If there are, you can fix the source data, or even better by changing the default quoting from MSQ into None in the LOAD statement.

-Alex

Not applicable
Author

Hi Alex,

good idea. I was really wondering how 600KB of excel data can lead to a memory error. In Germany we say: Don't trust data that you did't fake by yourself 😉

RR