Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Problem with application size

Hello,

I have an application. When I save the application without compression, the application is approx 175 MB.

I opened the application with a DocumentAnalyser (thank you Rob), and it says that the Table is 165 MB.

--> ok, the layout and other compotents take about 10 MB, that sounds OK.

Now, I add just 1 new table (no relation with the others), with only 1 line, from an Excel file.

When saved,my application is now 225 MB!

With the DocumentAnalyser, it still says that the Table is 165 MB (few bytes more, because of the new line).

I don't understand why a few bytes increase the size of the application by 50 MB.

14 Replies
nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

If I add at the end of my application:

TMP:

LOAD * INLINE [

foo, bar

];

--> 175 MB (not compressed).

If instead I add at the end of my application:

TMP:

LOAD * INLINE [

foo, bar

1, 2

];

--> 225 MB (not compressed).

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Are foo, bar related to other fields in your app?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or, maybe there is another logical table that contains both foo and bar - so the new table creates a synthetic table (?)

nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

No, as I said in my first post, there is no relation with any other table.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Would you mind posting those info?

1) Table Viewer screenshot

2) Document Properties / Tables

nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Here is my table viewer:

2015-01-14_122252.png

The table "_LANGUAGE" should contain 4 values "english / french / spanish / german", in order to choose the labels on charts.

If there is no line in the _LANGUAGE, my application "test - language without line.qvw" is 176'560 KB.

_LANGUAGE:

LOAD * INLINE [

_LANGUAGE

];

With the "mem" file, I see it should be 174 597 848 Bytes. --> no many differences

If there is 1 line in the _LANGUAGE, my application "test - language with 1 line.qvw" is 227'334 KB.

_LANGUAGE:

LOAD * INLINE [

_LANGUAGE

english

];

With the "mem" file, I see it should be 174 597 935 Bytes. --> many difference

See attached file "QlikOptimizer.qvw" to see de differences between the 2 files.

I don't explain the gap between my 2 versions of the application.

marchoctober
Creator
Creator

Hi!

As you may know there is very helpful post Symbol Tables and Bit-Stuffed Pointers on how Qlik handles the data. Moreover, please export memory usage statistics from first version app (175 mb) and second app (225 mb). You can do that from General tab of properties, button Memory Statistics.

Compare the data values (load stats into Qlik), possibly it could help to understand which field or table is gaining weight with load inline.

nicolas_martin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

please export memory usage statistics from first version app (175 mb) and second app (225 mb)

That's what I have done in my previous post, and I loaded the both "mem" files in the application "QlikOptimizer" and created a chart to compare the two applications.

As I said, my first application (175 MB) have 174 597 848 Bytes of data, whereas my second application (225 MB) have 174 597 935 Bytes of data.

marchoctober
Creator
Creator

The question is to compare both of files, are the fileds and sizes are equal. Where are the peeks?

By the way you publish exact amount or amount on hard drive?