cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariano_garaffa
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with Reduce data / Section Access

I created a QVW, by enabling the section Access, and then give in the option "Reduce data", my file became inaccessible to everyone, including those defined in the section Access.

How do I remove the access privileges and be able to recover my file?

It gives me the following errors (in this order):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Indeed. Even inadvertently making a mistake in Section Access can cause a complete lockout for you and everybody else. There is nothing you can do about that, as you could pry the accounts out of the QVW, but that won't help because Section Access won't let them in anyway. and AFAIK Section Access has no backdoor.

ALWAYS keep a copy of your document with Section Access; (the statement) disabled. This can be done very easily by putting two slashes in front of the Section Access; statement.

And as an added bonus: putting this statement in comments forces the SA table to be added as a regular table, which will help you mightily with debugging your SA security. For example, select an account from the now presentable NTNAME field and check how the reduction values are propagated into your data model...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
yujiyamane
Creator II
Creator II

Can you run the app from QMC?

Digvijay_Singh

Its always suggested to keep back up copy when section access is required in any app to be saved from similar accidental mistakes in section access.

Try opening app, by right click and with no data option if its possible.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Indeed. Even inadvertently making a mistake in Section Access can cause a complete lockout for you and everybody else. There is nothing you can do about that, as you could pry the accounts out of the QVW, but that won't help because Section Access won't let them in anyway. and AFAIK Section Access has no backdoor.

ALWAYS keep a copy of your document with Section Access; (the statement) disabled. This can be done very easily by putting two slashes in front of the Section Access; statement.

And as an added bonus: putting this statement in comments forces the SA table to be added as a regular table, which will help you mightily with debugging your SA security. For example, select an account from the now presentable NTNAME field and check how the reduction values are propagated into your data model...