Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QLikView, ODBC and UTF-8

Hi,

I've tried many ways to show utf-8 characters from database, with no luck.

So all utf-8 characters are "broken" in our QV, i.e. "lääkärinvast.otto" should really be "lääkärinvast.otto".

We load data via ODBC from MySQL database. Database and all it's tables are in UTF-8 format.

what I've tried so far:

• change ODBC driver charset to utf-8/latin -> no luck.
  • used SQL statement in QV script

SQL SET character_set_results='latin1';

SQL SET character_set_client='latin1';

• changed QV export charset to utf-8

please help!

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I have the same issue as ilaririchargt.

I'm querying an Oracle database which contains strings in UTF-8 characters.  Currently, the russian text is appearing as ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿.

Did you manage to solve your problem.

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

I have no MySQL available, but could you not use something like

SELECT

CONVERT(Myfield USING Latin1) ,

FROM

MyTable;

OR

SELECT

MyField  COLLATE latin1_General_CS

FROM

MyTable;

Cheers

Not applicable
Author

Could this be a setting of some sort?

I'm running the query from the QV Server edition (small business) with a leased license on QV Personal and get garbage text instead of russian.

A colleague of mine, testing the same problem on QV Personal, with the same query on the same database, gets the normal russian text.

Cheers.

EIndriksonsRD
Contributor II
Contributor II

For whoever is having the same problem I found another solution here: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14312/gblsupp.htm

Changing local Oracle client character set to UTF-8 resolved the issue and you can do it by adjusting registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEID\NLS_LANG by changing the character set to AL32UTF8 (after the dot).