Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sri27
Contributor II
Contributor II

QlickView - umlauts: Ä, Ö, Ü and ß not displaying on the dashboard

Working on a global dashboard. umlauts: Ä, Ö, Ü and ß are being displayed in the database and Alteryx output as expected.

However when displayed in the dashboard it is displaying as ?xxxxx?xxxxxx

File type: QVX

QlikView Version: 12.60, May 2021 SR2

Any thoughts how to encode or load so that these umlauts: Ä, Ö, Ü and ß display in the dashboard as expected.

Labels (3)
5 Replies
BrunPierre
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

See the attached. Some ASCII character table and this includes descriptions.

Sri27
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

for me these characters are coming in the text, here is the example ÜXXXÖXXXXXXX

This is a company name. In the database it is displaying as expected. When it comes to dashboard ?XXX?XXXXXX

Aware if Ascii codes  you have shown and the columns. Are you suggesting me to replace these special characters with ascii chr(192) etc., and display.

If I get these lot of variations will be difficult to work??

BrunPierre
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

If I understood your requirement correctly, are you trying to convert text with ASCII symbols into readable text?

If so, then that's interesting to me considering what I know is converting ASCII codes to string texts and vice versa.

Sri27
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

database and output file both contain Ä, Ö, Ü and ß the special characters as it is. Not encoding them to ASCII. Even if I encode them to ASCII, they are not being displayed. Some how it is not working in QlikView dashboard

marcus_sommer

You need to ensure that the data are properly loaded within Qlik. If your used data-base driver only supports respectively is configured to some ASCII char-sets you may lose this information already here. By using an UTF char-set these chars should be transferred properly. Usually it quite helpful to check the lengths of the values and splitting them to each single char by using ord() to get the real information behind the displayed char. 

Another part is the char-set handling within Qlik in regard to collation. A good starting point to what is meant is this:

Search - But what shall you find? - Qlik Community - 1472194

Further you should take a look on your used font. Not all fonts contain such special chars and may then displaying any place-holder.

- Marcus