Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView 11 - Displaying multiple dimensions and total with alternate states

Hi all -

I'm working on a longitudinal line chart --- dimensions are year and school, and expression is total square footage, and we have 12 values of school that we are looking at over time. That works fine as a regular line chart.  In addition, we want to see a 13th line of the average square footage of all the schools, still charted over the range of years in the X axis.  User should be able to select individual combinations of schools at will, but still keep present the line with the overall average.  I've been experimenting with both set analysis and alternate states to accomplish this, but can't figure out a way to display the specific schools the users selects (which could be as few as 1 and as many as 12) individually, rather than grouping them (as in the Financial Analysis demo app).  Using reference points and trend lines doesn't seem to help either. 

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, and would appreciate any pointers on how to go about this.

Thanks,

Amy Miller

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

If I understand you correctly, the problem is that with multiple dimensions, you can't have multiple expressions and still display the 12 schools and 1 total.

In the attached example I have added a total for the School dimension in the dimension limit tab of the line chart properties. As an expression:

if(Dimensionality()=1,

Avg({<School>} Total <Year> Footage),

Sum(Footage)

)

Where the dimensionality is used for a different calculation for the total which disregards the school selections

If this is not what you mean, then please post a sample qvw

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Can you post a qlikview document that demonstrates the problem?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

If I understand you correctly, the problem is that with multiple dimensions, you can't have multiple expressions and still display the 12 schools and 1 total.

In the attached example I have added a total for the School dimension in the dimension limit tab of the line chart properties. As an expression:

if(Dimensionality()=1,

Avg({<School>} Total <Year> Footage),

Sum(Footage)

)

Where the dimensionality is used for a different calculation for the total which disregards the school selections

If this is not what you mean, then please post a sample qvw

Not applicable
Author

Thanks so much, Piet - I hadn't thought of dimension limits at all, but it looks like this might help.  I'll experiment a bit more next week.

Thanks again.