Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Reload for New Data Retrieval

Hi all,

So i have these 2 qvw files:

The first qvw is used to generate a qvd to be used by other applications.

The second qvw is simply purely for a presentation. It will just load the first qvw binary and display nice charts.

Normally, people will get the second qvw and copy it to their desktop. Everyday they will press the reload button to refresh the data and get the latest data.

Now I have to add salary information and implement section access to allow only authorised people to see it. But the problem is, when people press the reload button on the second qvw, they are getting ALL data, including the salary, even though they dont have access to it.

Is there anyway to prevent this? What I want is for people to be able to get the latest data, but only the ones they are authorised to see. How do I achieve this?

I am new to Qlikview so I am really stuck. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You may want to have a look into these docs:

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/06/09/methods-for-data-reduction

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/05/26/section-access

Introduction to Section Access

Basically, section access is applied only when opening the doc. In it's basic form, it is just an access control to allow / deny users opening the doc. If you enable additionally other options e.g. data reduction, also your data is limited per user (either per row using, or by omitting complete fields). Please check referenced docs for further details.

To have data reduction effective, you need to deny your users to reload the script in Settings - Document Properties.

When the user reloads, the data reduction will not be redone (this only happens on opening the doc).

So as far as I've understood your setting, either deny your users to reload themselves (so you need some kind of automatic reload scheduler, the QV server  / publisher or a batch driven approach), or allow the users to reload, but separate the docs, so that it does not matter security-wise if a user reloads or not.

Does this sounds reasonable?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

The standard approach would be to have QV Server / Publisher reload the presentation qvw, then either distribute the qvw already with data reduced per user or using the accesspoint to reduce the data on open using section access.

In both cases the user will not be allowed to reload manually.

I assume you don't use QV server, so a possible solution in your case might be to create two applications, one with the confidential data and one without (you can link / chain the documents).

Not applicable
Author

Hi swuehl,

Thanks for your help. So are you saying that everytime the data gets updated, we have to distribute it? Our data gets updated daily, so we have to "distribute" the application daily?

If we create two versions: one with confidential data and one without, will the user be able to press the reload to refresh the data?

Thanks

selvakumarsr
Creator
Creator

May be you can write a batch file to reload it and schedule the batch using windows scheduler..Try to use job scheduler like 24X7 etc..

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You may want to have a look into these docs:

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/06/09/methods-for-data-reduction

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2014/05/26/section-access

Introduction to Section Access

Basically, section access is applied only when opening the doc. In it's basic form, it is just an access control to allow / deny users opening the doc. If you enable additionally other options e.g. data reduction, also your data is limited per user (either per row using, or by omitting complete fields). Please check referenced docs for further details.

To have data reduction effective, you need to deny your users to reload the script in Settings - Document Properties.

When the user reloads, the data reduction will not be redone (this only happens on opening the doc).

So as far as I've understood your setting, either deny your users to reload themselves (so you need some kind of automatic reload scheduler, the QV server  / publisher or a batch driven approach), or allow the users to reload, but separate the docs, so that it does not matter security-wise if a user reloads or not.

Does this sounds reasonable?

Not applicable
Author

Hi all

Thanks so much for the help. We have an automatic schedule that reload the qvw everynight, what we are trying to do is to prevent the users from having to copy the master file everyday from the access location to their desktop to get the latest data. I guess this is unavoidable. Thanks so much for your replies.