Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andriesb
Creator II
Creator II

Qlikview opens wrong qvw document (older version of file)

As I develop and change the script within a qvd file, I do make a lot of backups ( I do not have version control yet).

As this moment I have a very strange behaviour.

I edited my qvw by first making a copy of the file, backup the original and change the file name to the correct original title.

1. original file : Origin.qvw > made a copy to Origin_test.qvw

2. edited and changed the file Origin_test.qvw

3. change Origin.qvw to Origin_bak.qvw

4. change Origin_test.qvw to Origin.qvw

The strange thing is that if I open this file Origin.qvw, it opens an older version and NOT the one I have edited...

ONLY if I change my latest edited version (Origin_test.qvw) to a name not to be Origin.qvw it will always work and my changes will show.

I have changed my folder name to get rid of 'old' memory of qlikview, but it does not help.

Any ideas of what file is actually being opened and how to solve this?

The 'save as' will point to the current location where I have openend my file and would result in overwriting all my changes!!.

It will fail by opening via the Menu (file | open)  or by drag & drop

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RedSky001
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Are you using project folders, (ie you have a subfolder named Origin-prj)

If you are Qlikview looks in here first and when opening Origin.qvw which will not have been updated...

Mark

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RedSky001
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Are you using project folders, (ie you have a subfolder named Origin-prj)

If you are Qlikview looks in here first and when opening Origin.qvw which will not have been updated...

Mark

andriesb
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I had indeed created a subfolder containing an older version with the same name (backup) of my qvw file. Removing this folder proved to be the solution.

I however could not imagine why this behaiviour could be 'helpfull' to anyone : what should be the purpose of this?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The purpose is to enable version handling and multi-user development. I.e. the files in the project folder can be checked in and out in a version control system. So one user can edit the script and a second can edit a specific chart. The only way for QlikView to load the "latest" version of everything is to load the xml files and not the qvw file.

Every time you save the file in QlikView, you update the xml files. But since you overwrite the qvw file by another file, yo get the older file data.

HIC

alexdataiq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Howdy,

Sorry to revive an old post, but I just really want to thank you all because this really helped me. A few days ago this happened to me and I lost some changes I had made to a script and lost a day of work .

I was really baffled by this, I just couldn't explain why or describe it to other coworkers. Yesterday that the same thing happened to again to me and another coworker, so I find it really odd and end up looking for something similar in the community and here I am.

We indeed have an Prj folder, not sure why or who created it yet. Also thanks to Henric for the explanation about the usefulness of the prf folders, I will look more into it!

Regards