Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlikviewforum
Creator II
Creator II

Reduce the size or delete the QVD without breaching security!

In order to optimize one of the datamodel we are storing the all the data of a fact table in to a QVD to avoid the resident load. So now instead of loading the data using the resident load we are loading data from the QVD.

Issue is once the data is loaded into the data model we don't need the FACT.qvd anymore. The size of the fact qvd is about 25GB! So we would like to either delete it or store the QVD with 0 KB size of data. So that 25GB space is wasted.

Option: 1
If we use the below execute statement we need to enable Script(Allow Database Write and Execute Statements) which is unacceptable as we are breaking the security.

EXECUTE CMD.EXE /C del "C:\Data\Records.qvd";

Option: 2
If we do the below application may fail due to memory issue as we are trying to open QVD which is around 25GB.

TmpTbl:
Noconcatenate
LOAD *
FROM
C:\Data\Records.qvd
(qvd)
where 1=2;

Store TmpTbl into C:\Data\Records.qvd;

Drop table TmpTbl;

So could you please suggest anything so that we can reduce the QVD size or delete the QVD without breaching the security.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

How about this ?

Empty :

LOAD * INLINE [

Dummy

Dummy

];

Store Empty into C:\Data\Records.qvd;

Best Regards,     Bill

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

How about this ?

Empty :

LOAD * INLINE [

Dummy

Dummy

];

Store Empty into C:\Data\Records.qvd;

Best Regards,     Bill

qlikviewforum
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Perfect!

Let me refresh and check whether it can replace the QVD which is about 25GB.

Thank you so much!

qlikviewforum
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Bill,

Though the suggested method works. It is frequently getting failed because of "General Script Error". So my understanding here as we are trying to replace the QVD's with new set of fields(Dummy) it may be getting failed which trying to store the QVD (or) one more reason could be as size of my qvd is around 22GB it may be getting failed when we are trying to replace the QVD with dummy set of values.

So as to over come from this problem I am following the below approach. Please let me know you have any better alternative approach for this?

//===================

TmpTbl:

Load * from test.qvd(qvd)

where 1=2;

Store TmpTbl into test.qvd;

Drop table TmpTbl;
//====================