Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Reference Lines in the Speedometer (Guage) Chart

Dear All,

I wanted to use reference lines in the speedometer chart. I can use the same with other type of guage charts, however QV doesn't show the reference lines for the Speedometer chart. I had read the QV documentation and it says that we can use reference lines for Circular Guage Charts ( I am assuming that the ciruclar guage chart is the speedometer chart, please correct me if I am wrong). I had pasted the below text from the documentation and you can refer the same from Page 198 and Book III.

In the Reference Lines group you can define reference lines intersecting
the gauge background area at a given value. Reference lines
are only available in circular and linear style gauges. A list shows all
existing reference lines in the chart.

Thanks in advance. I'll look forward for some expert suggestions.

Cheers - DV

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

DV,

I've created something similar to what you're after (I think) in my 'Server Monitoring' .qvw:

You can download it via: http://community.qlik.com/media/p/142911.aspx

There are several other non-standard 'gauge' charts in there so have a poke around.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable

Keep in mind that in the gauge chart you have no dimensions, so if your reference line expression is producing multiple values, then they cannot be shown. In other words make sure that your reference line expression either returns one value, or you enable trellis on your dimension(s).

matt_crowther
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

DV,

I've created something similar to what you're after (I think) in my 'Server Monitoring' .qvw:

You can download it via: http://community.qlik.com/media/p/142911.aspx

There are several other non-standard 'gauge' charts in there so have a poke around.

Hope that helps,

Matt - Visual Analytics Ltd

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Matt - I had just downloaded the document and it looks awesome. I am looking for the similar solution and thanks for sharing the idea. I understand that you had used multiple charts and placed on top of the original chart and used transperancy. This is very good technique.

However, I am looking to add a reference line to the chart and not the additional needle. Please can you let me know if you have used this approach in the past?

Thanks again for you time.

Cheers - DV

Not applicable

Yes, you can do that. But you will have to follow the instructions that I gave you in my previous post.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Iassen - My expression returns a scalar value in the reference line. However, it does not seem to like it on the speedometer chart. I mean it does not show up in the speedometer chart and shows in the types of guage charts. I am not using any dimensions on this chart.

Please can you post an example if possible, that would be really helpful. Many thanks again for your time & patience with me.

Cheers - DV

Not applicable

here you go...

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Iassen - Thank you for sharing the example. I can't see the reference line on the chart. I mean if you change the chart type you can see the blue color reference line. However on the speedometer guage chart it does not show the line. I am followin the same approach as yours and having problems to show the reference line on the speedometer chart.

I hope I am making sense in explaining the issue. Please help!

Cheers - DV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you are using an older Qlikview version?
I am using QV10 and it does show on the guage charts also.

Not applicable

Same here...