Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Reload document from server with database on local computer

Hi!

I was wondering is it possible to have QV document on server and reload it using data from database in MS SQL on local computer. Normally I can connect from one computer to another to see available databases, so can I do it also with Qlikview?

I want do this to have more RAM memory to have faster document reload.

Monika

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A reload on the server is done by a (invisible) process (QVB.exe) that is identical to the reload engine in QV desktop. That process will execute the load script in exactly the same way as in QV Desktop (although silently and with a lot of safeguards). If you set-up your CONNECT strings in a generic way, and install the necessary database drivers (as suggested earlier on, use OLEDB as the connection details will be embedded in their entirety in your load script), a reload on the server will do just fine.

Only one thing needs taking care of: a reload on the server uses a different account (the so called service account) to gain access to files, directories and databases than you do in QV Desktop. Make sure that this service account has the same access privileges to your database as you do, or configure a correct account in the reload/task settings.

Peter

View solution in original post

10 Replies
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes, it is possible, connect to your DB via ODBC ....

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

As long as you can connect from the server to the local computer database, using any type of connection (OLEDB is preferred, or ODBC etc.), then QlikView can also read from that database.

marcus_sommer

It will depend on various factors if you could get gain advantages from such approaches to distribute sources and etl-processes on multiple machines - especially the max. rate on network traffic could be a limitation.

Before you are going deeper with this topic you should check if you could decrease the efforts for updating your applications with incremental loads: Incremental Load.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

But what if I have QV OEM Server - should I have also installed QV desktop? I just can't see how should it work. Can you provide some example how it is doing this on server?

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

can you create a connection to your database from your server using data sources? If yes, then Qv can use this to read from your database. Ask a administrator to help you.

Capture.PNG

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

A reload on the server is done by a (invisible) process (QVB.exe) that is identical to the reload engine in QV desktop. That process will execute the load script in exactly the same way as in QV Desktop (although silently and with a lot of safeguards). If you set-up your CONNECT strings in a generic way, and install the necessary database drivers (as suggested earlier on, use OLEDB as the connection details will be embedded in their entirety in your load script), a reload on the server will do just fine.

Only one thing needs taking care of: a reload on the server uses a different account (the so called service account) to gain access to files, directories and databases than you do in QV Desktop. Make sure that this service account has the same access privileges to your database as you do, or configure a correct account in the reload/task settings.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Let's say that I have now installed this OLEDB client on server and I have right connections to my database. Please tell me now: if I want to reload my document (which is on server) I should do from command line sth like: qvb.exe (some parameters?) document_name or something else?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You do have a QlikView Server, don't you? If you have a Publisher, put your document in the correct source folder. If you don't have a publisher, put your document in the document root where the AccessPoint picks up all documents.

Then open QMC (QlikView Management Console) which is a web application you can use for all reload-related tweaks and things. In the Documents tab, locate your document in the directory tree, and define a reload job.

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Yes, yes, this way I know, but is there any option to do reload document once just like I can do in QV desktop (for example using ctrl+r)?
I have OEM-QlikView SBE Test Server.