Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
effinty2112
Master
Master

Rename fields using mapping table

Hello,

I would like to rename my fields using a mapping table but QV is not allowing me to change a fieldname to one that already exists.

This is an extract from my mapping table:

OldNameNewName
Orders.AH_IDENT Account Number
Customers.ID

Account Number

I want to create an association between these two fields but QV is not allowing this. The fieldname Customers.ID remains unchanged. Is there a neat way around this restriction?

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

11 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

It would be better to add these information to your original thread.

I don't think you want to rename your fields, you need to create something like a canonical name field:

Canonical Date

It could look like (instead of the new name field, you can use a mapping approach, if your new names don't catch all old names):

Original:

LOAD Primary,

[Ticket Number],

Secondary

FROM

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [base data]);

LinkTable:

CROSSTABLE (NameOrder, Name)

LOAD [Ticket Number], Primary, Secondary

Resident Original;

NewNames:

LOAD [Old Name] as Name,

[New Name]

FROM

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [mapped names]);

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have atachted my sample file . File concatenates the extract from multiple sources i.e. RTC, Problems, Incidents and TR.

A mapping sheet has been created as the names are different in each of these extracts so as to map these to the actual names that are required.

In the RTC extract there are 2 fields i.e. Primary and Secondary Owner against one ticket. So each ticket is resolved by 2 people.  I have to put a list box with the names so when the user selects on a particular name the count of the tickets resolved by that person is calculated irrespective of the name appearing in the primary or secondary column should appear. The count should take into consideration both the cols i.e.Primary and Secondary