Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Replace all field references?

Is there a way to replace all references of a field with a new field?  For example, if the field name changed and you want to replace all the references to old field name (in all variables and charts) with the new field name? 

I do not want to rename the new field to the old field name in the script because I want to keep the new field name.

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

You will need some manually efforts to change the fieldname on all places. Within expressions is it quite easy - there you could use search & replace within the expression-list (menu --> properties --> expression list). But in dimensions, groups and maybe some more objects you will have some manually work.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

I have a big need on this too. Have an existing and huge application and then decide to change some fieldnames. Now I would hope to kind of "tell" QV which to replace in all the references.

But all I can find is the expression-list (menu --> properties --> expression list). This is far better then nothing. In my QV-Beginnings this also was not an Option. You had to change all the references manually, everywhere.

I hoped there is something new I do not know (to also change the references in all expressions). So I searched the community... Seams without luck.:-(

I still have to change all my expressions in more then 100 objects all over the application manually. I could not beleave it.

-Jonas

marcus_sommer

To change the fieldnames manually (unless by expressions) in about 100 objects is probably the fasted way of doing it.

You could of course try to use macros but such programming which runs through all sheets and all objects and then all dimensions, groups, labels and so on isn't easy and will take some time. Also possible could be to manipulate the qvw meta-data directly or indirectly per prj-folder but again it's not easy, needs some time and have some risks of destroying the app. In all cases you will need a quite big amount of time to control and validate your doing.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thank you.

In the past I used the indirect way be manipulating the xml in prj-folder. It es possible but still kind of manually and kind of risky. For now I'll do it manually to stay safe. It is still a lot of control and validate.

QV should add the dimensions to the expression-list. dimension-formulas are there already. So why not add "normal" dimensions. So what?! For today I have to stay by the manuell way.

Thanks for confirming. (Wollte nur sicher gehen mir keine unnötige Arbeit zu machen.)

-Jonas