Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treborscottnam
Contributor III
Contributor III

Reuse Set Analysis Result

Hello,

I have a table that for each month shows what the ending of the month headcount is. It uses this expression:
Month Headcount = Sum( {<IsLastDay={"Y"}>} Active)

In order to do a calculation (turnover) I need to also get the first day of the year headcount and use that number in each row of the table.

I can get the first day of the month, for the first month number with this expression:
First Day of Year =Sum( {<IsFirstDay={"Y"}, Month = {"1"}>} Active)

My question is:  How can I repeat that first day of the month in the table or get that result in each row's calculation.

Where I am stuck is that it only shows up in the first month, in the table.   I just need to get the First Day of Year number. That is so I can use this calculation:

=YTD Terminations / (First Day of Year + Month Headcount)/2

I had tried some different approaches such as using variables and trying out using an equal sign in the expression, and sometime not. I'm still a bit fuzzy on when the expression calculates based on if there is an equal sign or not in the expression.

Thank you.

I appreciate the advice!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

In that case, try this

=Sum(TOTAL <Year> {<IsFirstDay={"Y"}, Month = {"1"}>} Active)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
sunny_talwar

Looks like you need the TOTAL Qualifier in your expression

=Sum(TOTAL {<IsFirstDay={"Y"}, Month = {"1"}>} Active)
treborscottnam
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi sunny_talwar,

I really appreciate the answer. I tried that, but it didn't work for me. 

The problem is, I neglected to mention that I have multiple years. So the TOTAL did its job and summed up the years, but I need the total just for the year in which those months fall.

For example, what I'd like to see is a table like I've attached (I tried inserting a table, but kept getting errors that wouldn't allow me to post). Using TOTAL gave me 10,150, in the First Day of the Year column.

I hope that fills in what I neglected to say originally.

Thank you!

sunny_talwar

In that case, try this

=Sum(TOTAL <Year> {<IsFirstDay={"Y"}, Month = {"1"}>} Active)
treborscottnam
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I was looking for and it was a huge help.

I thought I had a basic understanding of Set Analysis, but it appears I still have a lot more to learn.  

sunny_talwar

Well this is not really set analysis. Read more about Total Qualifier here -> Defining the aggregation scope 

treborscottnam
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Well, that proves even more how much I have to learn! 😁