cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

SUM expression question

Hi,

I was looking at an app that someone developed.  One of the charts has this expression:

= sum({<_RevenueFlag-={1}>} TransactionAmountInDollars)

I believe it means sum the TransactionAmountInDollars where _RevenueFlag = 1.  However I noticed there is what

appears to be a minus or hyphen symbol between _RevenueFlag and the equal sign.  Can someone explain what that

means or what this expression maybe doing?

Thanks

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

It means sum TransactionAmountInDollars where _RevenueFlag is not equal to 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sunny, thanks for the quick response.  Personally I would coded it as _RevenueFlag  = (0) since it can only be

0 or 1.  This is much clearer.

sunny_talwar

I agree. Its much more easier to understand

maxgro
MVP
MVP

All  _RevenueFlag   of the selection   except  -1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

maxgro,

Can you please explain what "except -1" mean?  I have only been working with QV for a few weeks.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

-1 is excluded, so you will see everything else.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

<F1=-{a}>     is b, c

<F1-={a}>     is selected -a, --> b

1.png

you can find in

Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Sidney,

We need to be a bit careful here, the expression

= sum({<_RevenueFlag-={1}>} TransactionAmountInDollars)

will not include in the calculation records that have RevenueFlag = 1 or that have null RevenueFlag. In your case as the flag is always non-null this is not a consideration but it should be bourne in mind.

If I can use your example as an illustration, if some of your records had null RevenueFlag and you wanted to sum up all that were not set to 1 in this field then the expression

= sum({$-<_RevenueFlag={1}>} TransactionAmountInDollars)

would include the records in the default selection state with null RevenueFlag and also non-nulls <> 1.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Andrew and others who responded.  I will need to go through these samples myself to see how the results come out when I play around with this expression.