cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crystles
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

SVG US County Map not working

I have been working on creating US State maps with the county regions in them.

I found a site that has all of the states and the SVG for each here. (Georgia is selected since that is the map I am trying to create)

Georgia: free map, free blank map, free outline map, free base map : outline, counties (white)

I have the SVG file copied to here on my dev machine

C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Local\QlikTech\QlikView\Extensions\Objects\svgMap

I believe I have done everything I am supposed to do in order to get the map to work, but it is still not working and I don't understand why.

It will not even show me the map? The map box is just blank.

I have tried opening it in inkscape and saving it. I even tried going through the XML and changing the IDs for the polygons to the County names but that didn't work. I then tried having an excel document and having the original ID names from the map associated to the counties, but that didn't work either. I did not have a chance to change all of the IDs so some were blank... I don't know if that would have caused an issue or not? I really don't want to go through all the work of coding all 159 counties and it still not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

11 Replies
crystles
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

This map worked! Thank you so much!

I had tried one of the maps from the wiki site but they didn't seem to work.

Can you explain or show me where this "Fill" attribute is located? I will eventually have to create maps for all 50 states so I want to make sure I know how to fix it if I have problems with another map like this.

Thanks again for your solution and help!

Not applicable

I made a mistake in telling you it was the 'Fill' attribute. I'm a little new at this. The svg files that you were using did not have an ID attribute on the 'path' tag.

So, as an example, here are the steps that would be needed to fix the Georgia svg file - the one you were using from the d-maps site that was not working:

Open the Georgia svg file using Notepad or Notepad++. You should find similar to the following:

Each of these paths is for a county in Georgia. Then add an ID to each path and give it a name, similar to the following.

Each id needs to match the values of the dimension that you are using in the svg Reader extension.

Then the svg should start working like below:

Naturally you would want to give better names than County1, etc. and this could be a lot of work with there being so many counties, but it illustrates how the svg files work.

I'm guessing there is a nice way to assign these ids in InkScape or any other tool, but not sure how this is done.

I hope this makes sense, but please let me know,

Stan