Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Save Website URL to a Field

Hi all,

Strange one. I am scraping data from a website using the following URL format: www.website.com/data/1

I am incrementally increasing the 1, looping through about 100 pages. The problem is that while the above URL works for scraping the data, it is not the full URL - that is usually something like www.website.com/data/1-Title_of_page

Is there any way to return the full URL Qlikview is reading from? I need everything after the first number to use as the title for the row and to link it to the rest of my data.

UPDATE: I should point out that I need to return the full URL in the script as a field

9 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

I don;t know where you want to add URL

Finaly, I suggest you to full URL like

Dim & '<URL>www.fullurl.com'

Thanks,

Anil

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

I want to return the full URL in the script as a field. Then I'll be able to use that field to join my table to others using the URL as a key.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Load * INLINE[

Field

Company

FROM

FullURL:

Load Field,

Field & '<URL>www.fulladdress' as Field

Resident Directory;

Drop Table Directory;

Then you can use that full URL into that?

- Anil

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

No. You misunderstand. I don't have the full URL, I only have the first part (which is enough for scraping). I am trying to find and return the full URL using a command similar to FilePath().

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Did you try with the filexxxx() functions? FileName() for example?

ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Yeah. Tried all of them but all they return is what's in the source location (i.e. text after the FROM statement) so all I'm getting are variations of www.website.com/data/1

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Then this is probably a limitation of the FROM data source interface that doesn't know about the URL rewrite module that most web sites use since a long time. After all, it originated as a file interface...

Peter

ciaran_mcgowan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

I figured that but was holding out for some hidden function that I hadn't heard of before 😕

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It may be that some Qlik (formerly QVSource) Connector is able to return this meta-data to your script, as they were designed from the ground up to be web connectors. Not sure though.

Peter