Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Scramble User Credentials

Hi,

I have an existing Qlikview application in which Scramble User Credentials are used. The ODBC connection string is present with XUserId and XPassword like below:-

ODBC CONNECT TO XYZ (XUserId is ABcdeFGhIJk , XPassword is cfeabnajkguyaEaGcKAD);

I have lost the actual/real User ID and Password.

And now I need to change the credentials for which I need initial User ID and Password. Is it possible to extract them somehow?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Again for the Ideas!!

I reload the application and at the same time I asked DBA to check queries from Qlikview. DBA caught the query and UserID too. Now I know the actual UserID from which connection was created.I have asked DBA to change the password.

After this I will create a new connection string and yes it will be scrambled  again.

So there is no easy way to get original UserID if it is scrambled. Only DBA can help you.

Thanks Again!!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MarcoWedel

Hi,

you could ask the data base owner

regards

Marco

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you need to use changed/new credentials, just generate a new CONNECT statement.

Otherwise, this sounds like a rather dubious question. To create a new login to a DBMS, you need sa access, not your old credentials.

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

As mentioned above, if you want to change the username and password, you should be the admin or owner of the db.

The encryption is not done by qlikview but odbc.

Password.JPG

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gentlemen for the quick response.

Allow me to put my question again. I need to change password and I don't know the UserID. Once I get to know the UserID, then I will contact DB Admin and they will provide me new password. So Is it possible to find the  UserID somehow?

ODBC CONNECT TO [DSN;DBQ=SERVER_NAME] (XUserId is MQdPZXVMfKdGXSJOLE, XPassword is BXGPUVVMUbbcWUBOQLdETZYA);

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Once I get to know the UserID, then I will contact DB Admin and they will provide me new password. So Is it possible to find the  UserID somehow?

Not sure what you mean.. once you get to know the userID...then you will contact the DB Admin for the password..you can create the connection string.

From the scrambled or encrypted connection string..you can't get the user id and password.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No idea. Information about this "scrambling" won't be easy to come by, as it would allow everyone to gain access to databases by simply reversing the process. It would defeat the purpose for which it was chosen: security (albeit not very strong).

Is the database used by many accounts? Can you still execute a reload using the old credentials? A database admin can log access to databases, and this trace includes account names.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

You can contact your DB Admin while connecting with your application and ask him/her which user is beeing used to connect (sp_who if you´re using SQL Server)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Again for the Ideas!!

I reload the application and at the same time I asked DBA to check queries from Qlikview. DBA caught the query and UserID too. Now I know the actual UserID from which connection was created.I have asked DBA to change the password.

After this I will create a new connection string and yes it will be scrambled  again.

So there is no easy way to get original UserID if it is scrambled. Only DBA can help you.

Thanks Again!!