Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m4u
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Security questions

Hi

I have two questions involving security:

1. I have a document with several sheets. Is it possible to allow a certain user access to only one of them? In the reference I was only able to find details on how to limit access based on population, but not based on the sheet it's on.

2. Assuming QV is used without a server, using the desktop edition - Is there some way to protect the data? I mean, to prevent the user from being able to just copy the file and take home all the data it contains. Is there some mode that during data reload (directly from SQL Server) would keep all data in memory, without storing it in the qvw file, so that essentially, the file cannot be used in an 'offline mode'?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

Without the server-option you need to allow the people to open the application locally. You may limit them via USER/ADMIN, close the individual objects/sheets as much as possible, prevent copying - but do not think that you can really secure it, but rather invest in a server-solution.

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

Under Properties - General -Show Sheet (other objects under Properties - Layout - Show) you may enter users, or user-groups as defined in the access-section.
Think that - if you allow the users to open the application locally with a client you may only assign roles as USER or ADMIN - only the latter one is able to read the script or to reload. All objects might be prevented to be copied or edited.
Alternatively you may allow to open in server only with web-client. Furthermore subject to the users grant them access to limited data only, thus not giving access to the content of the total database.

Peter

m4u
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hi

Regarding #1, all clear

regarding #2 - assuming that using server is not an option (licencing issues) and the solution is accessing the file locally. What I am asking here is basically how do I allow the user to access all the data while they are connected to the network, but prevent "offline" access - meaning they should not be able to take the file home. I assume, if possible, for that I need to make QV not to save any data in the .qvw file - is that possible somehow? I am concerned about the data itself - not about the design/intellectual property stuff

Not applicable

You could use the NTDOMAINSID field in section access to tie the QV application to your domain. Of course, this doesn't work if people take their whole laptop home.

prieper
Master II
Master II

Without the server-option you need to allow the people to open the application locally. You may limit them via USER/ADMIN, close the individual objects/sheets as much as possible, prevent copying - but do not think that you can really secure it, but rather invest in a server-solution.

Peter

m4u
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks